Keeping Colton High School informed and entertained since 1917

Ukrainian boxer Vasyl Lomachenko is on top of the world

Vasyl Lomachenko doing a backflip after he knocks out Roman “Rocky” Martinez on June 11, 2016 in the Madison Square Garden Arena in New York to win the WBO World Super Flyweight title.

Erick Inzunza, Reporter

They call him Vasyl “Hi-Tech” Lomachenko. He hails from Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukraine. He’s a Southpaw boxer that is currently ranked number 1 in the world. His record is impressive, but small, with 7 wins, 5 by knockout, and 1 loss. He is, as Max Kellerman stated in his last fight, “One of the best boxers out there.” He has won consecutive gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics and some argue that he is one of the best boxing amateurs of all time. His accuracy, lateral movement, and speed is bolstered by his creativity in the ring.

Vasyl Lomachenko was raised in a really diverse city in the Ukraine, which was part of the former Soviet Union. His father pushed him to box and Lomachenko admits that if his father didn’t push him so much, he would have probably ended up as a professional hockey player. Although he admits this, his amatuer and Olmpic career is outstanding and shows true potential. In the World Championships in 2007, he won a Silver Medal because he lost to Albert Seminov. Everything was gold from there on out. Lomachenko avenged his loss twice, by knocking out Seminov twice. Lomachenko won a gold medal in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and another gold medal in the 2012 London Olympics. His amateur record was 396 wins and 1 loss and because of this record, many boxing fans argue that Vasyl Lomachenko is the best amateur boxer ever.

Lomachenko turned pro in October 2013, knocking out Jose Ramirez in the undercard of Timothy Bradley vs Juan Manuel Marquez. Lomachenko then went on to fight Orlando Salido, an experienced Mexican boxing star. Salido outboxed Lomachenko and Lomachenko received his first and only loss, via split decision. He then went on to win Gary Russell Jr. and Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo, by decision of the judges. Lomachenko then went on to knockout Gamalier Rodriguez, Romulo Koasicha and Roman Martinez.

On November 26, 2016, Lomachenko faced off against undefeated Jamaican boxer Nicholas Walters (26-0-1) at 130 lbs. in the Cosmopolitan Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. From the start, Lomachenko controlled the fight, keeping his distance from Walters and landing combinations after combinations. He even began mocking Walters, playing with him, waving at him. Soon enough, at the end of the 7th round, Walters quit and told referee Tony Weeks, “no mas”, which translates to “no more.” Lomachenko won by TKO and gave Walters his first loss.

What’s next for the Ukrainian boxing star? Many want Lomachenko to move up in weight to fight top opposition. Although Lomachenko wants to fight undefeated Mexican star Francisco “El Bandido” Vargas (23-0-2), many want him to move up in weight to fight fighters such as undefeated Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0) or even Manny Pacquiao (59-6-2).
“I want to be the best pound for pound boxer,” says Vasyl Lomachenko in the post fight interview against Nicholas Walters, “that’s my goal.”

• Ukrainian boxer Vasyl Lomachenko is on top of the world

Opinion

Social media can become addicting; are YOU an addict?

News

Special Ed teacher’s arrest shocks campus

• Sports

The First Woman in 4 Decades to Win 2017 NYC Marathon

News

CHS has a haunting history

News

Colton High School Upgrading Their Beloved Stadium

News

Woman’s basketball star Breanna Stewart shares her “Me Too” story

Top Stories

Grant elementary fall festival provides fun for all ages

• Opinion

Do we have a sexual predator as our President?

News

Trump Releases JFK Assassination Files

Top Stories

ASB students teach how addiction leads to conviction