‘Virginity Rocks’ trend is popular and controversial

Aireanna Romo, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

“Virginity Rocks” is an all around popular brand that has become a teenage sensation.

Danny Duncan, A 27 year old YouTuber who carries out pranks for his 6.21 million followers started wearing “Virginity Rocks” shirts as a joke. 

Duncan’s “joke” didn’t last long as the phrase caught the eyes of his audience. And as of 2017, the phrase “Virginity Rocks” started gaining its numbers in views and became extremely popular. 

Duncan’s clarity grew even more as a new partnership with Zumiez was introduced. The teen-centric store joined up with Duncan to sell his merchandise, like shirts, sweatshirts, and sandals. With the online sales reaching up to 1 million dollars, it was safe to say that the brand was thriving.

Zumiez employees were especially pleased as they were making more money because the shirts were easy to sell.

“It’s not really my best selling product but it’s also definitely not my worst selling product,” owner of the Zumiez in the Inland Center Mall said. “All around it’s a good seller here. I have a lot of staff members that wear it and buy it as well. I would say we usually get up to about more than three sales a week at most.”

However, while sales are strong, many schools and religious groups are not pleased with students wearing clothing considered “offensive.” In several schools, students have been sent home, making parents furious. 

Many have shared about these incidents online, pointing out that “Virginity Rocks” isn’t promoting anything offensive, but actually something positive. Schools like Colton High don’t seem to have a problem with the clothing, its words not violating the dress code at all.

“I had a conversation in my head about it when I first saw it on campus. It felt like that was an odd thing to censor.” Colton High Principal Joda Murphy said.

Nonetheless numerous schools, like one in St. Charles county in St. Louis, or Roseburg High in Connecticut, proceeded to ban the clothing. Despite efforts to ban the brand, it only continues to grow in popularity. Today, many young adults continue to wear the merchandise whether it be to show support to the creator, Danny Duncan, or just because it’s “cool.”