Seniors commit to their future plans, endeavors, and colleges at the annual Commitment Ceremony

By the work of Renaissance, the Commitment Ceremony gives Seniors the spotlight to publicly show their plans after high school.
Senior+Valeria+Moctezuma+poses+with+her+mom+and+younger+brother%2C+showing+off+her+commitment+signature+after+the+ceremony.+
Elijah Goodman
Senior Valeria Moctezuma poses with her mom and younger brother, showing off her commitment signature after the ceremony.

Colton, CA—On May 1, Colton High seniors took a huge step towards life after high school by making their college commitments at the annual Renaissance College Commitment ceremony. CHS Renaissance set the stage for an evening dedicated to celebrating the students’ achievements and future aspirations.

The commitment ceremony was a jubilant affair, filled with anticipation and excitement for seniors and their families as it marked the first major event of their last month of school before graduation. 

“This is more than just a formality,” Renaissance advisor Alexandra Buskirk said. “It’s a promise to themselves and to their families that they are committed to continuing their education and becoming leaders of tomorrow.”

Each student at the ceremony enjoyed a moment in the spotlight, signing a symbolic commitment to their chosen colleges. Students like Cynthia Rodriguez, who will be attending Cal Maritime Academy, and Sophia Soto, who has chosen Fresno State University to study criminology, marked this commitment by signing their names in front of cheering friends and relatives.

During the ceremony, students shared their personal journeys and the challenges they’ve overcome to reach this point. “It feels like a major step toward something great, something bigger than myself,” shared Diana Rubalcaba Jr , reflecting the sentiments of many others.

For those heading to technical and community colleges, like those attending Riverside Community College and Chaffey College, the ceremony was equally significant. They too embraced the moment, eagerly looking forward to pursuing careers in diverse fields such as nursing, engineering, and business.

The evening was also filled with light-hearted moments, including raffles and giveaways, adding an extra layer of excitement. Students won items ranging from quilting goodies to Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards, bringing smiles and laughter throughout the event.

Buskirk, capturing the essence of the ceremony, shared, “We look forward to seeing you back in our community after your adventures, to see what you will be doing for your community, but also beyond. Each of you is great in your own way. Please remember that you are here in this moment for a reason.”

As the evening concluded, students left with not just commitment certificates and goody bags, but with a renewed sense of purpose. The commitment ceremony at Colton High School was not just a celebration of what these students have achieved but also a heartfelt send-off into their promising futures.

This event highlighted not only the academic and personal achievements of Colton High’s seniors but also the supportive community that has fostered their growth. It stands as a testament to the resilience and determination of these young adults as they step forward into their next chapter.

$735
$10000

Brandon Salvato
Brandon Salvato, Editor
Meet Brandon, a senior at CHS who's always up for an adventure. When he's not acing his studies, you'll find him immersed in the world of video games, enjoying life at car meets, grooving to the beat at concerts, and savoring the delicate flavors of sushi. With his caring nature and unwavering support, Brandon is the ultimate friend to have by your side whenever you need a helping hand. This year, Brandon is video editor for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000