AVID College Fair takes over lunch

AVID sophomores serve up information and prizes at the annual College Fair
Ash Mendoza
AVID Sophomore Kendall Smith shows off her presentation about San Diego State University at the annual College Fair.

Colton, CA—The college going spirit was alive and well last week at Colton High.

During lunch on April 4, 2024, the sophomore AVID classes held their annual college fair, representing a large array of colleges, both local and national, to encourage student interest in going to university. 

From their booths lined up and down DC Lane in front of the MPR, the AVID students presented on a variety of colleges and universities from the University of Texas to UC’s in San Diego, Riverside, Los Angeles, and more. In addition to sharing essential information about their schools, AVID students also handed out pamphlets and hosted games for candy and other prizes.

This meant a lot to the students, and they enjoyed the fair very much. AVID sophomore Carlos Martinez said, “I like the college fair because we get to learn about others and show other people what opportunities there are.”

In addition to the students, all the AVID teachers were there, as well. Russell Levine, however, was the instructor in advising the event as the sophomore AVID teacher. According to Levine, the even is a large part of the students’ grade. Each group running a booth is required to get a minimum of 50 signatures from visiting students.

To support AVID, several teachers provided extra credit to their students for participating in the fair.

$735
$10000

Damien Gonzalez
Damien Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Damien is a junior at Colton High School. While he lives in Colton, he is originally from San Bernardino and has lived in many different cities. Prior to moving to Colton and attending CHS, he went to school in Rialto. He is a proud Mexican Americanhis parents were born in Mexico but he was born in America. He also loves to talk and write about movies and music. He and his grandpa would always listen to the Beatles, Queen, and David Bowie.
$735
$10000