Boxing’s top four making an impact into 2017

Erick Inzunza, Reporter

Gennady “GGG” Golovkin

Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, current undefeated WBA, WBC & IBF middleweight champion of the world (36-0). Born in Karaganda, Kazakhstan in 1982, Golovkin lived a very happy and fulfilling childhood, unlike other fighters who came from very rough neighborhoods. Ever since he began training with Abel Sanchez, Golovkin has won all of his matches by knockout. He’s been on a knockout streak since 2008. Golovkin knocked out a bloody Gabriel Rosado in 2013. Golovkin’s 2017 looks promising, since he will fight Daniel “The Miracle Man” Jacobs (32-1), another promising middleweight, on March 18. Golovkin is also seeking a huge bout with Super Welterweight champion, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1), which will most likely be the fight of the decade, due to both fighter’s power and skill in the ring.

Vasyl “Hi-Tech” Lomachenko

Vasyl “Hi-Tech” Lomachenko, current WBO World featherweight champion (7-1). Although his professional record may be small, his amateur record is impressive, to say the least. He won two consecutive gold medals, one in the 2008 Olympics in China and another in the 2012 Olympics in London, ending with an amateur record of 396 wins and only 1 loss. His only loss against Albert Selimov, avenged twice. Moving on to his professional record, Lomachenko received his first loss against experienced and seasoned Mexican warrior, Orlando “Siri” Salido (41-12-1) in 2014, something he wishes to avenge in 2017. Lomachenko’s last fight, was against undefeated Jamaican boxer Nicholas “Axe Man” Walters (26-0-1). Lomachenko’s boxing brilliance, skill and technique, made Walters quit, saying “no mas” which translates to “no more”. Lomachenko’s 2017 opponents range from undefeated Francisco Vargas (23-0-2) to Manny Pacquiao (59-6-2).

Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder

Current undefeated WBC World Heavyweight champion, Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder, (37-0). Wilder, a high school football player in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, is soon to rule the heavyweight division. Wilder dethroned Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1) for the WBC world heavyweight championship in 2015, the one and only fight he hasn’t won by knockout. In 2016, Wilder fought Artur Szpilka (20-1), who proved awkward for Wilder. Although Wilder was in trouble the first few rounds, Wilder ended the fight with a devastating knockout, which resulted in Szpilka being carried out of the ring by medical professionals. Later in 2017, Wilder won Riverside’s Chris Arreola (36-4-1) by stoppage. Wilder’s first fight in 2017 is set for February 25th, against Andrzej Wawrzyk (33-1). Wilder will be a great heavyweight champion, due to his power and reach, which helps other fighters stay at a distance where they can only do minimum damage to Wilder.

Luis “King Kong” Ortiz

Undefeated, Luis “King Kong” Ortiz, current WBA World Heavyweight Champion of the world (27-0). Ortiz is up and coming in the heavyweight division, hailing from Camaguey, Cuba. Seeking opposition and opportunity for his sick daughter, Ortiz defected from Cuba and made it to the United States. Ortiz immediately seeked medical care for his daughter that has a rare and incurable sickness, whom he almost gave up a hand for in Cuba, literally. “I told the doctor, if she needs it, she can have it,” says a teary eye Luis Ortiz, “I want to give her everything.” Ortiz, in 2016, knocked out both Tony Thompson (40-6-0) and David Allen (9-1-1) and won a unanimous decision against Malik Scott (38-2-1). In 2017, Ortiz is aiming to fight Deontay Wilder or undefeated Anthony Joshua (18-0). Ortiz is aiming to reign the heavyweight division and his power proves it to be a challenge for other up and coming fighters.