College Fair helps students see what’s outside their “local zone”

AVID sophomores host their annual College Fair to promote post-high school education and provide essential information about universities to Colton students

Anna Garcia

Ashley Galvan teaches Colton students about UC Riverside at the annual AVID College Fair.

Daphne Marquez, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CA—On April 6, 2023 the Sophomore AVID class held the AVID College fair during both lunches.

AVID is an elective students can take to help prepare for college and the AVID college fair is a great way for AVID students to educate others about the different colleges that they can attend. 

The fair puts into perspective the reality of college and what the essentials that you need to get into that college.

Russell Levine teaches the sophomore AVID students, and helped them organize this year’s event. “That’s kind of the purpose is to get kids to investigate different schools that are outside of their local zone, so that they see what opportunities are available for them,” he said.

There were a variety of college booths to go to, including Yale University, Cal State San Bernardino, Cal Poly Pomona, Oregon State, and even Harvard University.

It was clear the sophomores had worked hard and they made it an effort to get many people at each booth. Sophomore Kasandra Vallin said “We made the posters so that we could help all the students here. We had good information about applying to colleges.”

These poster-board filled booths had sign-up sheets, games, and questions that you could answer to win candy.

The sophomores supervising each booth were the ones who made all of the poster-board presentations about each college which included, tuition, financial aid, clubs, events, facts, majors, and other types of information about that school.

“This is just really a way for students to kind of just look at what’s out there and kind of make some decisions based on what’s best for them over time,” said Levine.