Colton students speak out at Lion’s Club speech competition

Genesis Rodela takes top prize as six CHS students participate in the annual event by the local community service organization
Courtesy Lucy Leyva
Genesis Rodela wins the 2024 local chapter Lions Club speech competition. She will move on to compete against more competition in the Zone stage.

Colton, CA—On Feb. 22, the Colton Lions Club hosted its second annual speech competition at the Gonzales Center. A new theme inspired this year’s speakers, asking the question “For A Better World, What Would You Change?”

Six Colton students participated this year, with the top prize of $100 going to Genesis Rodela for her speech about how one’s self-perception is the root of self-love.

Six Colton High students participated in the speaking event, held at Gonzales Center on Feb. 22. From left: Sienna Fernandez, Hailey Munoz, Arturo Flores, Diana Ruvalcaba, Genesis Rodela, Matthew Monge. (Courtesy Lucy Leyva)

Other participants included Sienna Fernandez, Arturo Flores, Matthew Monge, Hailey Munoz and Diana Ruvalcaba. Each received a check for $25. All spoke passionately on topics such as consumerism, personal insecurities and education.

“Our students were poised and passionate,” said English teacher Abigail Humphrey, who attended the event. “The judges were impressed with their delivery.”

The competition was a tight race given that all the speeches were well-written and spoken. Each student had already competed in a preliminary round after school in order to determine the top six from a field of eight. That event was judged by a team including teachers Lucy Leyva, Abigail Humphrey and attorney Jessica Garcia.

Speech advisor Lucy Leyva was impressed by the quality of the students’ work and professionalism. “I have been to many speech competitions,” she said. “Our tryouts compared to so many professional competitions. Students were poised, prepared, and professional, even at the tryout level. It was so difficult to judge. I’m truly grateful for the group of judges who helped me evaluate these amazing students.”

Rodela, who recently came in third at the Rotary Club Competition on Feb. 9, will now participate in the Lions Club’s zone competition on Mar. 13 at 6:00 p.m. It will be held at the Rialto 1st Baptist Church.

$735
$10000

Matthew Monge
Matthew Monge, Editor
Matthew Monge is in his junior year and second year writing for the Pepper Bough. He mostly writes about movies and TV and serves as the Entertainment, Arts and Lifestyle editor. He loves arts and entertainment, an in his free time likes to read comics, listen to music andsadlydo homework. Matthew hopes more people eventually join the Pepper Bough so more people have an opportunity to write with them.
$735
$10000