Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Empowering Young Minds

Colton High hosts the 7th annual Girls’ Empowerment event featuring an inspirational message by speaker Tamara Ellison
Brandon Salvato
The 7th annual Girls’ Empowerment event was held in the Hubbs Gym on Feb. 20. Girls from elementary schools feeding into Colton Middle and Colton High were invited to work on building self-confidence and motivation.

On February 20th, the Ken Hubbs gym was abuzz with inspiration and empowerment as it hosted its 7th annual Girls’ Empowerment Event. The event, a collaborative effort of five elementary schools feeding into Colton Middle School – Abraham Lincoln, Alice Birney, Paul J. Rogers, Ulysses Grant, and William McKinley, saw counselors Elizabeth Bettencourt, Denise Cervera, Jennifer Bernal, Ivette Mota, and Lehidi Vazquez contribute significantly.

The event is part of the district’s initiative to prepare students for middle school and beyond, fostering confidence and motivation. Strategies include creating self-esteem books, referring students to school counselors, implementing an empowerment curriculum, involving parents as chaperones, and distributing event plans to teachers.

Elementary school students participate in activities to support self-efficacy and esteem. (Brandon Salvato)

Renowned motivational speaker and founder of Empowered to Flourish Tamara Ellison, graced the event as the keynote speaker. Her powerful speech on self-improvement, self-motivation, and inner strength left a lasting impression on the young attendees. Through her program, she has been equipping girls with the tools to thrive despite their backgrounds, focusing on cultivating confidence, a healthy self-image, and the courage to challenge the status quo.

Evelyn, a sixth grader, was moved by Ellison’s words saying, “Her speech made me realize my own strength. I’m genuinely excited about middle school now and feel ready to face new challenges.” 

Fifth grader Edmerah echoed this sentiment, remarking, “Today I learned that courage is about facing your fears, not avoiding them. I’m looking forward to middle school with the bravery Mrs. Ellison inspired in us.”

The event also featured activities led by counselors that reinforced themes of resilience and self-belief, including a powerful session where students wrote down negative thoughts and fears, then symbolically destroyed them.

Ellison’s background is as inspiring as her words. Having become a teen parent at 16, she overcame significant challenges to achieve her goals. Her passion for empowering those whose voices have been silenced by society led to the founding of Tamara Ellison Ministries in 2010.

Building on the success of the Girls’ Empowerment Event, Colton Joint Unified is excited to announce a Boys Empowerment Event on Feb. 27. This initiative underscores the district’s commitment to nurturing resilience, confidence, and empowerment in all students, regardless of gender.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Brandon Salvato
Brandon Salvato, Editor
Meet Brandon, a senior at CHS who's always up for an adventure. When he's not acing his studies, you'll find him immersed in the world of video games, enjoying life at car meets, grooving to the beat at concerts, and savoring the delicate flavors of sushi. With his caring nature and unwavering support, Brandon is the ultimate friend to have by your side whenever you need a helping hand. This year, Brandon is video editor for the Pepper Bough.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal