ASB reintroduces rewards program to CHS

5-Star, a student reward program, provides students an opportunity to earn points for a variety of activities and achievements to redeem for prizes
Edith Orta
Colton students, like Lucas Duran, redeemed 5-Star points for goodies at a 5-Star redemption day event on Jan. 30.

Colton, CA—During a lunchtime event on Jan. 30, ASB re-introduced CHS to the 5-Star incentive program. Items and prizes were set up in a booth in front of the Rivera MPR for the student body to see what their 5-Star points could be redeemed for.

“We put up all kinds of decorations, and displayed all the items, since it was the first big rewards day,” said Alexandra Buskirk, Activities Director.

5-Star is an app/website schools use to keep track of student rewards points accumulated from participation in sports and activities, for attendance, academic performance, good behavior, and more.

“5 star does a really good job of tracking student participation and activities on campus as well as teacher participation and recognizing students’ positive behaviors,” said Danielle Fernandez, Colton’s High’s Learning Specialist.

According to Fernandez, there are a number of items for students to redeem their 5-Star points for on regularly scheduled redemption days. This includes school supplies, food items, school merchandise, and other items.

“This means the school puts out a helping hand and adds a few additional things to the plate such as sports equipment, fun toys, and [students] get put into a drawing to possibly win a TV, camera, or tablet,” Fernandez explained.

To keep track of their own points, students can download the 5-Star app. It is available for free download on the Apple Store and Google Play.

The store is open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays located at the Colton student store to redeem those points for a prize.

Some students are beginning to enjoy earning rewards in class.

“I enjoy 5-Star because it makes me feel accomplished when I get rewarded for doing good or helpful things around our school campus” said freshman Jade Movassaghi.

Teachers, like biology instructor Gloria Ramirez, also enjoy the benefits of the app.

“I feel as if the app can truly help keep the school more organized because if I ever need to write up a hall pass or tardy sweep, it’s already put into the system to keep track of my students.” said Gloria Ramirez.

The next redemption day is scheduled for Friday, Mar. 1 during lunch.

$735
$10000

Averie Calderilla
Averie Calderilla, Staff Writer
Averie Calderilla is a freshman at Colton High. She plays soccer for the school team and in her spare times loves to travel anywhere that's interesting.
$735
$10000