First pep rally of school year gets a schedule change

Pep rallies are a Colton High School tradition. This photo is from 2017.

Sarah Sanchez and Oscar Tapia, Pepper Bough Staff Writers

Colton, CA–This Friday, August 27, Colton High School will host its first pep rally for the 2021-2022 school year during lunch outside the Mac Gym, and everyone is excited about it.

Originally, the rally was scheduled to happen during third period at the Hubbs Gym as part of an assembly day schedule. However, due to COVID restrictions, this was changed to lunch time.

Pep rallies are a tradition held to encourage school spirit. According to Ms. Buskirk, CHS’ ASB Director, “Rallies typically consist of introducing the sports for their season, performances from cheer or band, some sort of recognition for students or staff on campus, and games for students to enjoy.”

The rallies are student sponsored. Ms. Buskirk explained, “ASB hosts the majority of the rallies with help sometimes from Link Crew, Renaissance, and other clubs on campus depending on what is presented during the rally.”

Since the rallies will be held during lunch, there is the potential for tardies in fourth or fifth period, depending on which rally a student attends. Ms. Buskirk shared, “We plan to finish the rallies no later than 2 minutes before the bell, but on the off chance a situation occurs, we will notify the admin who will make an announcement to all teachers if this were to happen.”

The Pep Rally is the climax of as week’s worth of spirit events, including Twin Day, Wacky Sock Day, Cotton Candy Day, and Neon Nerd Day. On Friday, for the rally, students should wear their class colors.

Grade 9 wears white, grade 10 wears red, grade 11 wears purple, and grade 12 wears blue.