Freshman and Sophomore Lu-Wow!

Underclassmen crush the dance floor at annual school event

J. Dollins

Link Crew’s finest welcome Colton’s freshmen and sophomores to the Luau at the Mac.

Erin Dallatorre, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

The 4th annual CHS Freshman/Sophomore Luau brought out the school’s underclassmen on Wednesday night for an evening of games and socializing in the Mac Gym. This wolf in sheep’s clothing synergy event was put on by Link Crew and most notably, Link Crew adviser Mr. Esquivel. 

According to Mr. Esquivel, this year’s Luau was one of the most successful out of the four put on so far in the sense of student involvement. There was a lot riding on this event this time around since this would be the first opportunity for students to socialize in an informal setting. 

There was definitely raised morale in that gym today, kids were dancing without needing to be encouraged. Many laughs and good memories were shared. 

Mr. Esquivel drops the beat on the Luau, bringing all the kids to the dancefloor. (J. Dollins)

Mr. Esquivel stated that the Luau was more of just a fun time to hangout than a Synergy event/day. Synergy helps students strengthen their self-esteem and trust in others. 

“The only similarities between the Freshmen/Sophomore Luau is that we want students to have a safe space to meet new people and have fun. The Luau does not incorporate any emotional activities or support, it’s just a good time to hang out with friends, meet new friends, listen to some music, play some games, eat food, and have a great time with Link Crew Leaders.”

A couple of concerns with COVID-19 and the expectation of 200 kids attending the Luau did come up from the students themselves, but Link Crew did not share these concerns as the event was approved by Colton High Principal, Joda Murphy and CJUSD District officials. Hand sanitizer and limited activities were provided for the safest experience. Face masks were mandatory to enter the gym and only allowed to be taken off when eating. 

The games were played by most sophomores, freshmen, and Link Crew leaders together. There were games such as Connect 4 and Jenga for everyone to enjoy.

Students were admitted free to the event and provided free pizza, water, and snacks. All they had to do was show up, these kinds of social events should be things students shouldn’t miss. They give great opportunities to make allies in this uncharted territory of High School and to make new friends.