California Community Colleges Celebrates Legislation that Expands High School Students’ Access to College Classes

Mike Wexler, Reporter

At Pasadena City College, the California Community Colleges Board of Governors President Geoffrey L. Baum and Assembly Leader Chris Holden recently celebrated the new signing of legislation that will help high school students expand their access towards college courses, providing them an opportunity to gain some more academic skills that will help them succeed at the collegiate level.  

Chris Holden’s Assembly Bill 288 will now create a new relationship between high schools and community colleges to allow a whole variety of students to take college level work courses in high school and/or college campuses, which is known as dual enrollment. According to the Board of Governors President Baum, “Expanding dual enrollment is critical because it increases opportunities for students to pursue certificates and degrees or transfer to four-year institutions,” he added, These valuable partnerships will help high school students acquire the academic skills necessary to be successful, and they will gain confidence as a result of early access to college instruction.”

With the new partnership with high schools and community colleges in California, this will help students who may not be ready for college bound just yet or who are not represented in higher education, with the goal of coming from high school to a community college to fulfill a career in technical education or preparation for a transfer to a major university. The College and Career Access Pathways (CCAP) focuses on the needs of local colleges, and help save students, their families, money, scarce educational resources.  

According to the assemblymember, Holden, With the signing of AB 288, thousands of high school students across California will be able to receive expanded concurrent enrollment opportunities.” He added,  “Students who never thought college was possible will realize that college is within their reach and that anyone can rise to the challenge.”

The new bill will be in effect on New Year’s Day, removing roadblocks to concurrent enrollments by allowing students to enroll in a maximum 15 units of coursework (if certain conditions are met). With the new legislation, this allows community colleges to limit college courses in California high schools, which grants a huge opportunity to students in need to go to college.