Colton High’s voices are given center stage at the Rotary Club’s speech competition

Students competed at the Rotary Club’s 4-Way Test speech competition for prizes and the opportunity to move up to the next round
All+the+participants+of+the+speech+competition+pose+for+a+photo+together+next+to+the+Rotary+Clubs+banner%2C+detailing+the+4-Way+Test.+From+left+to+right%3A+Andrew+Diaz%2C+Hailey+Munoz%2C+Diana+Ruvalcaba%2C+Sienna+Fernandez+%2C+Nicole+Valadez%2C+and+Genesis+Rodela.+
Brandon Salvato
All the participants of the speech competition pose for a photo together next to the Rotary Club’s banner, detailing the 4-Way Test. From left to right: Andrew Diaz, Hailey Munoz, Diana Ruvalcaba, Sienna Fernandez , Nicole Valadez, and Genesis Rodela.

Colton, CA — On Feb. 9th, the air at Denny’s on Valley Boulevard was thick with anticipation and excitement as it once again was transformed from a bustling diner to a beacon of youthful eloquence. 

The Rotary Club hosted its second 4-Way Test Speech competition in the restaurant’s banquet room, turning the spotlight onto the articulate and passionate voices of Colton’s finest public speakers.

In a stirring display of talent and conviction, Colton High School’s speakers took center stage. The competition was fierce yet friendly, as each participant brought their unique perspectives and experiences to the forefront. 

Schools other than CHS were invited to bring students to compete in the competition, but only CHS students showed up in the end with English teacher and chaperone Ms. Leyva. 

Each student had written and practiced their own speech, either written to specifically fit the rubric of the Rotary Club’s 4 Way Test. 

Senior Andrew Diaz, who won this competition last year, once again cinched first place with his deeply moving speech on self-improvement, reflection, and forgiveness. His words not only captivated but also stirred the hearts of all present, and a check for 200$ for first place. 

Junior Diana Ruvalcaba secured second place with her powerful and inspirational speech on self-love, and weaving in themes of personal development and the transformative power of sports. 

Genesis Rodela, another junior, claimed third place with her advocacy for gender equality, eloquently addressing the disparities in freedom and experiences between young men and women.

The journey to the podium was not without its challenges. Each student went through their own creative processes in order to mentally and physically prepare for the competition.

Senior Nicole Valadez spoke candidly about her battle with nervousness and how repetition became her ally in delivering her speech with confidence. Hailey Munoz, another junior, shared her struggle to infuse originality into her speech, aiming to stand out in a sea of voices.

Diana Ruvalcaba reflected on her process: “Avoiding clichés while capturing the essence of self-love was a balancing act. My aim was to be passionate without losing authenticity.”

Participants offered sage advice to aspiring speakers. “Speak from the heart, but back it up with solid research and thought,” suggested one student, emphasizing the importance of substance in speech-making.

When asked about the event’s organization and school support, responses varied. While some felt the need for more practice sessions, others appreciated the motivational push from their teacher, Ms. Leyva. The sense of camaraderie among competitors was a common thread, with many finding strength and inspiration in their peers.

Andrew Diaz, reflecting on his speech preparation, said, “I find a quiet room and let my thoughts flow. Speaking on personal experiences makes it more genuine and easier to convey.”

The participants discussed growth through the competition. “Each speech, each practice, pushed me out of my comfort zone, helping me grow not just as a speaker, but as a person,” shared Nicole Valadez.

Looking ahead, many participants expressed a desire to continue their journey in public speaking. Andrew Diaz mentioned his interest in joining Toastmasters and pursuing a career in criminal prosecution, where his honed skills would be invaluable.

The event, though smaller in scale compared to the previous year, was a testament to the resilience and adaptability of the students. Their voices, filled with passion and purpose, resonated long after the last word was spoken, leaving an indelible mark on all who witnessed their heartfelt speeches.

$735
$10000

Brandon Salvato
Brandon Salvato, Editor
Meet Brandon, a senior at CHS who's always up for an adventure. When he's not acing his studies, you'll find him immersed in the world of video games, enjoying life at car meets, grooving to the beat at concerts, and savoring the delicate flavors of sushi. With his caring nature and unwavering support, Brandon is the ultimate friend to have by your side whenever you need a helping hand. This year, Brandon is video editor for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000