How to handle procrastination 101

Rachel Garcia, Reporter

As a senior in high school,l I’ve experienced many times where I just found myself piled up in loads of homework because I procrastinated. Procrastination to me is one of the biggest hardships that you can put yourself in as it creates huge amounts of stress. One of the many diseases that I see hit seniors is a bad case of senioritis. Yes, senior year is the most important year however once we start getting acceptance letters and perfect grades we kind of just think “I’m already set  I know where I’m going in the fall”. This leads us to not want to do any work because it seems useless at this point in our high school careers.

My key ways to not procrastinate is to just do the homework at school during other classes if you have nothing to do. This takes off a huge amount of work that you would usually have at home. If you can’t do homework in other classes just try to do the work whenever you can and do as much as possible. Another tip is that if you have a strong work ethic like me then when you go home just do all of the work for the week in one day to get it out of the way for the rest of the week. This allows you to have the least amount of stress and work as you do it and forget about it until the teacher asks for it.

Another idea is to turn off your phone to get away from social media to focus right. Social media tends to distract teenagers as they have eye-catching, funny and relatable posts. Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram are considered the holy trinity to deeply distract teenagers from doing work as you get caught up in the drama and fascination of new ideas online. Another tip would be to isolate yourself to work in a quiet place. This allows a student to put their full focus on the assignment rather than on what your parents need you to do. A controversy for many is the use of music while doing homework. For some it allows them to focus more to have a little bit of background noise while others become fully distracted with the lyrics of the song rather than the work.