Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Girls soccer advances to semifinals

Team defeats Liberty 2-0 in a tight game that makes school history
Elijah Goodman
The girls soccer team celebrates their 2-0 CIF quarterfinal victory against Liberty High on Feb. 14.

Menifee, CA—Back on Dec. 9, Colton’s girls soccer team matched up with Liberty High in the Newport Harbor soccer tournament. It was the second week of the season, and many of Colton’s best players were either out or injured.

Colton lost that first meeting 1-0.

On Wednesday, Feb. 14, girls soccer were matched up against Liberty High again, this time in the CIF Division 6 quarterfinals. This time at full strength.

This time, things were quite different.

Colton won the match 2-0 to advance to the semifinals, putting them in their divisional Final Four.

After a tight back-and-forth struggle in the first half, freshman Bianca Soto took over on the play that sealed the team’s victory.

As she struggled to get past the Bison’s defensive line, she saw an opportunity and took it.

Soto broke free and drew a pass from Anna Bailey. She passed through the middle of the Bison’s line. As she faced the goalie in the eyes, she took her shot towards the bottom corner of the net.

Everyone jumped to their feet as the goal went through. They knew they were headed for the next round.

This game was a challenge for the Yellowjackets, who found the will to win. In the first half, Anna Bailey scored the first goal at the 20 minute mark on an assist from Cambria Duron.

Liberty did not quit, however, and the two teams shared an even amount of ball possession. The play of goalkeeper Addyson Castro, who had seven saves on goal, kept the Bison’s tamed.

Colton’s intensity and aggression took over from there.

Winning this game was important for many reasons. This year’s team has been the most successful girls soccer team in the last 10 years, with only teams in 2015-16 and 2018-19 getting as far as the quarterfinals before coming up short.

This was the hype of the game. The community knows this is a special Girls soccer team. With all that hype, the team is hungry to win.

There were many smiles, laughs and team connection as the team walked off the Eagles field knowing there were two more wins left to earn the CIF title. 

Now girls soccer will be traveling to Diamond Ranch High School to play in the semifinals on Saturday Feb.17 at 3 p.m.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Josie Ramos
Josie Ramos, Staff Writer
Josie Ramos is a freshman at Colton High. This is her first year working for the Pepper Bough.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal