Girls soccer dominates field

The team crushes Gabrielino 5-1 in round two of the CIF playoffs to advance to the quarterfinals
Claudia Avalos
Anna Bailey had three goals in Colton’s 5-1 victory over Gabrielino High in round 2 of the CIF playoffs on Feb. 10.

Colton, CA—After the girls soccer team earned their spot in the CIF playoffs, they weren’t done dominating.

The Yellowjackets matched up against the Eagles of Gabrielino High School on Saturday for the second round of the CIF division 6 playoffs. Colton had the first round bye, and Gabrielino defeated Samueli Academy 2-0 on Feb. 8.

Colton showed its strength, dominating Gabrielino 5-1 to earn a spot in the CIF quarterfinals.

The Yellowjackets owned the ball all game, testing Gabrielino at every opportunity.

With the girls unaware of Gabrielino’s style of play, head coach Manuel Flores was happy with what he saw from his team. “We had many higher opponents in non-league and scrimmages. Let’s not be concerned about the outcome, and we now believe the girls can play anyone.”

Twenty-five minutes into the first half, offensive players Anna Bailey and Adalyn Moreno scored goals, both assisted by Bianca Soto, giving Colton the 2-0 lead at halftime.

The girls came back after inspiring speeches from their coaches with an even sharper mindset. Assistant coach Tony Moreno told them “Heat and pressure makes a diamond, bring the ring.”

With renewed focus, captain Melanie Bravo extended the Yellowjacket lead early on a breakaway goal, putting them up 3-0.

And Anna Bailey wasn’t done yet. With her team behind her, she scored 2 more goals, earning a hat-trick.

“Personally I feel my performance was outstanding today. Thanking the Lord above,” Bailey said. “Skillswise, I feel I did good as well.”

Near the end of the game, after Colton pulled its starters, the Eagles scored on a corner kick, their only point of the match.

“If we play how we know how to play, this team can definitely go to the finals,” Coach Flores said after the game.

With this victory, the girls soccer team is now in the CIF quarterfinals. Their next opponent will be Liberty High School. They will travel to Perris to play the Bison on Wednesday, Feb. 14. Game time is 5 p.m.

$735
$10000

Josie Ramos
Josie Ramos, Staff Writer
Josie Ramos is a freshman at Colton High. This is her first year working for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000