Yellowjackets come close to victory over Fontana

Colton and Fontana tie 1-1 in a game dominated by Colton
Yearbook Staff
Varsity boys soccer sets up inbound pass.

Colton, CA—Boys soccer has struggled this season to add wins to their record. That struggle continued on Wednesday night, as they earned their fourth tied match of the year against Fontana, 1-1.

Even though the season has been a challenge, the Yellowjackets showed huge improvement against the Steelers. When the two teams last played on Dec. 14, Colton lost 5-1.

“I don’t think they could have done anything else,” said head coach Jose Ruvalcaba. “I think they played their best.”

Freshman Jonathan Ruvlacaba led Colton to a 1-0 lead, scoring on a shot with 12 minutes left in the first half.

Colton maintained ball possession most of the match. The Yellowjackets moved fast, played with intensity and showed they wanted to get that win. 

A Colton foul midway through the second half gave Fontana the penalty kick which tied the match.

Team captain Miguel Marcelo said “there’s no one to blame, the whole team went in feeling rushed” as an uplift to his team for the penalty. 

The boys ended the match with senior night. 

Overall, Boys soccer is 2-7-3 and 0-4-3 in Sunkist league play.

$735
$10000

Josie Ramos
Josie Ramos, Staff Writer
Josie Ramos is a freshman at Colton High. This is her first year working for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000