Yellowjackets come back strong, fall to Bruins

A fourth quarter comeback is ruined by inability to score extra points following three late touchdown opportunities
Olivia Torres
Senior Alex Juarez looks back on the field as he sprints towards a late game touchdown against Bloomington.

Colton, CA—Even though Colton scored three touchdowns in the game’s final 10 minutes, the Yellowjackets fell short to the Bloomington Bruins last Friday, 20-18.

For Colton, quarterback Koa Regalado threw for 201 yards and two touchdowns. Damian Sanchez combined for 118 total yards, and Alex Juarez had two receptions for 78 yards and a touchdown.

The first half was dominated by the Bruins, who put up 14 unanswered points in the first half. They scored again in the third quarter, and it looked like the Yellowjackets had no life in them.

With 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, receiver Kalvin Leon gave Colton hope with a 96-yard kick return. A fired up Yellowjacket squad scored two more touchdowns. However, they failed on each of their three two-point conversions, which put them in need of one more touchdown to win the game. They came up short in the final minute.

With this loss, Colton is now 3-5 on the season, and 0-3 in the Skyline league, tied with Notre Dame for last place. Bloomington is now 2-1 in Skyline, and 7-1 overall, placing them in second behind San Gorgonio.

Colton will play Arroyo Valley on Friday night in the annual Homecoming game.

Skyline League Notes

San Gorgonio improved to 3-0 in Skyline, and 7-1 overall with a 35-26 victory over Arroyo Valley. The Hawks are tied with Bloomington for second place at 2-1 in Skyline, with an overall record of 6-2.

Fontana took care of business against Notre Dame, defeating them 47-6 on Friday. They are 2-1 in Skyline, but 4-4 overall. Notre Dame still remains winless on the season, 0-3 in Skyline and 0-8 overall.

$735
$10000

Mario Colunga
Mario Colunga, Editor
Mario Colunga is a freshman at Colton High School who likes to play sports and watch movies, especially fast action movies. He is involved in multiple sports and lives to compete with his friends.
$735
$10000