Colton blows out Spartans after big fifth inning to win County Clash, 5-1

Andrew Montes pitches a complete game, and Gabriel Aparicio has two big hits to propel the Yellowjackets to victory.

Elias Velasquez

Gabriel Aparicio went 2-for-3 with a double and 2 RBIs in Colton’s 5-1 victory over San Gorgonio at the annual County Clash event.

Mario Colunga, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

San Bernardino, CA—Varsity baseball took over San Manuel Stadium on Saturday Night.

The stadium was packed with family, friends, and supporters as they came together to watch the Yellowjackets blow out the San Gorgonio Spartans 5-1 in the annual County Clash event. Gabriel Aparicio went 2-for-3 with a double, and racked up 2 RBIs.

“The boys were definitely nervous playing at San Manuel,” said coach Mike Esquivel. “It definitely showed, but it’s natural—who wouldn’t be? But honestly, they overcame it and played one amazing game.”

If the team was nervous about being under the professional lights, it didn’t show in the first inning, as they took advantage of mistakes by the Spartans to take an early 2-0 lead. Andrew Montes and Steven Aguayo both got hits and scored.

Montes took the mound for the Yellowjackets and pitched the complete game. He finished with 6 strikeouts and only surrendered one run and 3 hits.

After the second inning, the game was a complete stalemate between the two teams until the top of the seventh inning when starting catcher Gabriel Aparicio broke the game open with a two-run double, putting the game out of reach.

Colton has been involved in the County Clash for the last few years. Saturday’s game was the last time the team’s seniors would play on the San Manuel field as a Yellowjacket.

“Our season definitely started off bumpy. [We were] playing some great teams, but we are honestly making a comeback and now we are feeling great,” said Andrew Montes. “This game was ‘the game’—the game I’ll always remember, just seeing friends and family coming out to support.”

Aparicio felt similarly. “Tonight’s game was ‘the game.’ I will always remember this game because it was honestly one of the best experiences that I have had in my time at CHS. Everything is different then if we were at a game at a high school—the atmosphere here is different, and seeing everyone come out here and support is—it’s honestly amazing!”