Banged up Yellowjackets’ season opener spoiled by Alta Loma, 55-12

J. Dollins

Yellowjacket players look on as their teammate is tended to by training staff.

Marisa Romero, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CAOn Friday night, the varsity Yellowjackets football team was stomped on by the Alta Loma High School Braves, 55-12.

Steven Medina takes a pass right into the teeth of the Braves’ defense. (J. Dollins)

The Yellowjackets fought hard to keep the game competitive in the first quarter after the Braves led with a kick-off turnover. An acrobatic touchdown was caught by WR Steven Medina from QB Gabriel Aparicio, who pulled the Yellowjackets within one point after a failed two-point conversion.

Everything went downhill from there.

The Braves scored two touchdowns because of an injury plagued first quarter for the Yellowjackets. Alta Loma then opened this up with a 20-yard touchdown pass during the second quarter from their QB Ayden Kirk to TE Jaxson Hall.

From there the game got out of hand for our inexperienced Yellowjackets. They managed to put one more score on the board with a late fourth quarter touchdown made by WR Bryce Martinez.

Multiple injuries stopped the Yellowjackets during the game, and caused two of them to be taken to the hospital for imaging to determine the extent of their injuries. Overall, eight Colton players had to leave the game due to various injury concerns.*

Megan Kelley, Colton’s trainer, was really worried about this from the get-go. “Alta Loma had a season last year. They were conditioned, they lifted weights, and they built up experience for this game, but our guys didn’t have that”.

Because of the loss of some of our players, many new recruits from the football program were asked to step-up. Even though their inexperience showed, their hearts were in the right place to step up and play.

Assistant Coach Myley Herrera expressed his excitement for the opportunity these new players have received. He shared words to show his excitement and this is what he said, “The bright spot about today was the kids got Friday Night Light Game Time”.

Head Coach Ray Rodriguez was very realistic about the defeat, but was already anticipating the next challenge for his banged up crew. “The injury bug got us tonight, it’s tough to compete when you have guys who are fresh, but don’t worry we’ll be ready for next week’s game”.

It is Pepper Bough editorial policy not to disclose the names and specific injuries of Colton High’s athletes without parental consent.