Track squad dominates Summit with home victory

Mike Wexler, Sports Editor

The Colton Track and Field team dominated the meet against the Summit SkyHawks at Hubbs field on April 14th in commanding fashion. Heading into this match, Head Coach Valerie Holmes commented, “I knew this was going to be difficult [because] they are a big team and have fast runners. I felt, heading into this, that we were going to do well, especially [with] our runners.”

In the 100 meter run, Senior Edwin Berber secured second place with a time of 11.97 seconds and for the girls, Junior Trinique Jonzun finished in first place. In the Boys 1600 and 800, Senior Dominick Borbon dominated and finished in 1st place, cementing himself as one of the fastest sprinters in the Sunkist league. In the 4×100 relay, Sophomore runner AyJay Porter finished with an amazing time of 34:05.03.

For the field events, in throwing, for the girls, Senior Samantha Perez ended with a 60’6″ distance throwing the discus and in shot put, 24’4.5″. For the boys, Juniors Gabriel Peralta ended third with a 36’5″ in shotput and Augustin Rojas ended third in disc with an incredible 96’8″.

The next field events are the Long Jump, High Jump and Triple Jumps. In Long Jump, both Graciela Garcia and Edwin Berber made a strong contribution to the team’s success as they ended in 2nd place. High Jump had the same winning formula as long jump as Junior Jacob Lucky dominated and ended in 2nd place. Finally, in the Triple Jump, the Jackets truly showed their grit and determination as Seniors, Kayla Fortunato finished in first place and Chris Florez finished in third.