Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Colton High Provides a New Workshop for Multilingual Parents

The Parent Institute of Bilingual Education helps multilingual parents gain engagement strategies to support their relationships with their children
Miriam Oliveros teaches parents about mindfulness with their kids.

Colton, CA—On February 13, 2024, Colton High held its first workshop for the Parent Institute of Bilingual Education (PIBE).

Colton High Program Tech Leslie Cruz said “PIBE is an organization that comes to provide classes for our parents. The goal is to bring in our English learner parents and provide them with workshops for eight weeks, with different topics that they will cover.”

The first topic, led by Miriam Oliveros, focused on mindfulness and improving relationships between parents and teens.

Each parent received a folder with activities and resources on how they can improve and educate themselves on the topic.

Along with the folder there was a presentation going on where parents were allowed to express questions or concerns they had on the subject.

One parent who attended the event, Yaneth, stated, “I have three kids and I want the opportunity to be able to communicate with them better and have a closer relationship with them. So yeah, for me I just want to be better for my kids.”

The next meeting will be on Feb. 20, and light refreshments will be provided.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Daphne Marquez
Daphne Marquez, Editor
Daphne Marquez is a sophomore at Colton High School. This is her second year working for the Pepper Bough. She is the editor for News and Features. She enjoys the basic things like watching videos on Youtube, listening to music (constantly), playing video games, playing guitar, and writing (for the Pepper Bough and for herself).
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal