New Drama Production Set to Take Stage

“The King’s Rebellion” will be the first student written play at Colton High and will be the first performance since COVID
Abigail Humphrey
The cast of “The King’s Rebellion” rehearses a pivotal scene. From left: Brianna Gil, Michael Gil, Mardell Jones, Nancy Covarrubias.

Colton, CA—Ever heard of a play written and produced by students? Neither have I.

Until now.

“The King’s Rebellion” is a play under production by Colton High’s Drama Club, with one unique feature being that the play is the product of the imagination of the club members.

The play is cast mostly with members from the club, with each one of them being very passionate about what they are doing.

Noah Toro and Ja’len Terry co-wrote “The King’s Rebellion” and star in the production. (Nancy Covarrubias)

“The King’s Rebellion” is an original play written by senior Noah Toro and junior Ja’len Terry with the support of former Creative Writing teacher Mr. Cody MacKay and CHS alum Shelby Montez. The drama focuses on several characters whose lives are impacted by war.

The play is expected to run in March. According to Ms. Sarah Hantuli, Drama Club’s advisor, there will be two shows on March 13-14.

This comes after hiccups in the play’s production have caused delays in opening. Even though getting the play on its feet was not an easy task, the club managed to push through and set it into motion.

Although the play has been pushed back a few times, the students have been putting in tons of effort. With the help of Hantuli, Montez and new English teacher Abigail Humphrey, they have constructed sets, tightened the play, and worked on blocking and staging.

Hantuli says that “What impressed me the most with the students involved is their resilience and passion in the project. The fact that they are committing their free time to be involved says a lot about them as people and how reliable they are.”.

From personally going down to one of their practices and seeing the students act on the stage, I would have to say it really exceeded my expectations. Seeing everyone working together, and encouraging one another was a cool experience.

“The King’s Rebellion” will run March 13-14. Tickets will cost $3 general admission. They are free for students who present a school ID card. There will be a presale on GoFan in addition to sales at the door the day of performance.

$735
$10000

About the Contributors
Ezra Ochoa
Ezra Ochoa, Staff Writer
Ezra Ochoa is a freshman at Colton High School who works for the Pepper Bough. This is his first year working for PB and is looking to have a successful year. He lives over in San Bernardino, but spends a majority of his life here in Colton. Although this is his first time at CHS, all of his older siblings have gone here, giving him a good idea about how things work around the school. He loves to write about what is going on with people and how they feel about the things going on in the school. And a fun little fact: he barely turns 14 on Sept. 1.
Abigail Humphrey
Abigail Humphrey, Assistant Sports Editor
$735
$10000