Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Winter Awards bring cheers to packed Whitmer

Nearly 600 Yellowjackets receive awards commemorating their academic achievements
Damaris Coto
Colton students receive their Honor Roll certificates at the annual Renaissance Winter Awards, held in the Whitmer on Feb. 8.

Colton, CA–An overflowing Whitmer Auditorium buzzed on Thursday night as Renaissance hosted its annual Winter Awards ceremony, recognizing student performance during the first semester of the 2023-2024 school year.

At the event, nearly 600 students were presented with award certificates for Honor Roll, Principal’s Honor Roll, and Top 10 for the highest achievers. This year’s Honor Guard, the top 20 juniors who will participate in this year’s graduation ceremony, were also named.

The ceremony had a huge turnout. “I was surprised there was a lot of people, but I think it went really good with the amount of awards we had to give out,” said Renaissance member Esperanza Ventura, who emceed the event. 

Parents and family weren’t the only ones out to support student success. Teachers and mentors that have had these Yellowjackets in class celebrated their students, too. 

“The whole point of this night award ceremony is to recognize our hard-working and focused students,”  said Activities Director and Renaissance Advisor Alexandra Buskirk, “and to show them that hard work matters and will pay off and give them motivation to try their hardest.”

Moments like these are important to our Yellowjackets, to show appreciation for their hard work and dedication. 

Sophomore Anthony Florez  is thankful for the support he received during the ceremony, “It was an amazing and good feeling to be up there on stage because I know I worked hard for it, and I definitely recommend to everyone to try their hardest to show the dedication they put in.”

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributors
Santiago Cabrales
Santiago Cabrales, Staff Writer
Santiago Cabrales is a sophomore this year and this is his first year writing for the Pepper Bough. He was raised in Colton and has lived here for many years, but recently moved to San Bernardino. He is passionate for his community. Along with his many interests, he loves writing about movies and sports. In his downtime, he loves watching movies, especially horror movies. He's a very quiet, but smart person. He is looking forward to earning some rewards in the future, and hopefully a career involving journalism.
Damaris Coto
Damaris Coto is a junior at Colton High School. She writes and takes photographs for the Pepper Bough.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal