CHS rolls out Lunar New Year celebration for Year of the Dragon

Ms. Lin’s Mandarin students celebrate Lunar New Year at lunch with games, a choir, and a dancing dragon
Ivan Garcia
The Dragon Dance crew takes a quick break to show off their impressive puppet.

Colton, CAThe Year of the Dragon came early to Colton High this year.

While the Lunar New Year began on Saturday, Feb. 10, Ms. Yuh-jin Lin’s Mandarin classes hosted traditional Chinese activities during lunch on Friday.

During lunch, a choir of Mandarin students sang festive Chinese songs. Others held high a ceremonial dragon as they performed a dragon dance. Multiple tables outside the Rivera MPR offered activities for students to engage with Chinese cultural traditions.

During periods 4 and 5, level 2 Mandarin students hosted those same activity stations for students visiting rooms 541 and 542.

There were five cultural stations for students to explore: storytelling of Chinese legends, Chinese calligraphy, origami paper cutting, using chopsticks, and using lego blocks to sound auspicious words.

According to Lin, the purpose of creating activities for students to engage in is “because instead of students reading from a book or the internet, they are creating new experiences with those activities. When I teach calligraphy or other activities they will remember how to do it. So I want them to have their own experiences.”

Not only will Mandarin classes host activities for Friday, but they will also be hosting one cultural station each day in the library during the week of February 12-15.

“We’re here to spread Chinese culture and our station is about the Nian New Years story.” said Mandarin student Hetzabel Lomez.

The Lunar New Year is the biggest holiday in Chinese culture, with each new year represented by a different animal in the Chinese zodiac. This year is the Year of the Dragon; specifically, it is the wood dragon. For many, the zodiac is looked upon as an opportunity to consider their fortunes for the year. According to some prognosticators, the wood dragon is an indicator that industries associated with wood products, like paper, are due for a good year. This would include publishing* and other cultural outlets.

*So, look for the Pepper Bough to achieve great success this year!

$735
$10000

About the Contributors
Daphne Marquez
Daphne Marquez, Editor
Daphne Marquez is a sophomore at Colton High School. This is her second year working for the Pepper Bough. She is the editor for News and Features. She enjoys the basic things like watching videos on Youtube, listening to music (constantly), playing video games, playing guitar, and writing (for the Pepper Bough and for herself).
Jade Gil
Jade Gil, Staff Writer
Jade Gil is a freshman at Colton High. This is her first year working for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000