Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

College and Career Fair Brings New Opportunities for Colton High Students

Over 30 representatives from colleges and career programs shared postsecondary information to Colton High students during an extended lunch
CHS Yearbook Staff
Representatives from Chaffey College share information with Santino Zamora and other CHS students during the annual College and Career Fair.

Colton, CA On November 14, 2023, Colton High School held an annual lunchtime event known as the “College and Career Fair”. 

This event was for students to see both college and university opportunities, and the things that they have to offer. The speakers at each table spoke to students about their presentations and offered prizes to students who asked questions after presentations.

The Fair was organized by the Colton High School counseling department. Over 30 representatives for a variety of colleges and career-based organizations set up booths along DC lane to offer post-secondary information to CHS students.

To accomodate the number of booths and the crowds, lunchtime was stretched to 45 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes. There were many booths for each student explore. One of the things that drew people in were giveaways of novelty merchandise, like pens, stickers, erasers and metal straws. 

Free taquitos and drinks were also available for students to grab while they walked around the fair.

Many students were motivated to explore the booths because of extra credit opportunities provided by teachers. Students were provided a stamper card to show evidence they visited different booths. Extra credit was given in exchange for earning six stamps. 

The extra credit, giveaways, and free food had Colton students interested in what each booth had to offer. For example, student Luis Ramirez said, “The little things were cool and all, and the stands too.” And for sophomore William Chagolla, “Even though it was crowded it was still fun.”

Even though the motivation was mainly for the things that the stands offered, as well as the extra credit, there were plenty of students who really got something out of it; and were maybe even inspired by what the stands and speakers were offering.

The College and Career Fair was a successful event that opened doors for people, enlightening them about new opportunities.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Ezra Ochoa
Ezra Ochoa, Staff Writer
Ezra Ochoa is a freshman at Colton High School who works for the Pepper Bough. This is his first year working for PB and is looking to have a successful year. He lives over in San Bernardino, but spends a majority of his life here in Colton. Although this is his first time at CHS, all of his older siblings have gone here, giving him a good idea about how things work around the school. He loves to write about what is going on with people and how they feel about the things going on in the school. And a fun little fact: he barely turns 14 on Sept. 1.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal