Millan takes second place at Lions Club Regional Speech Competition

Millan’s journey ends at the midpoint of the annual Lions Club speaking competition.

J. Dollins

Karen Millan shares her moment with her speech coach and English teacher, Ms. Lucy Leyva.

Tyler Morales, Pepper Bough Editor

Jurupa Valley, CA—On April 14, Karen Millan continued her oratory journey at the 86th annual regional Lions Club speech competition. Held at the Jurupa Valley Lions Clubhouse, Millan’s journey ended as she came in second place.

Speaking on the topic, “Social Media: Connects Us or Isolates Us?,” Millan delivered her speech and excited judges with her insights on the ways in which social media creates a sense of isolation for its younger users.

This regional competition marked the third of six stages. According to Lidia Jones, the regional level director, for this stage, speakers were required to memorize their speeches.

Karen’s journey was ended by first place winner Emily Woo of Martin Luther King High School in Riverside. Woo’s speech argued for the positive elements of social media and its benefits for the world at large. Woo took home $250 in prize money and will move on to the district stage of the competition in Palm Springs.

Jones wants to see more student involvement in public speaking activities like this one. ”You have to have a passion to better yourself and be able to truly speak with your voice,” she said. 

Millan agreed with Jones on this. “I think that it’s an experience that a lot of people should go to.” She intends on competing again next year.