Wellness Club provides safe space for students to relax and support peers

J. Dollins

Wellness Club adviser Evelyn Villa and Vice President Brooke Carlson enjoy an icebreaker at the start of the club meeting.

Briana McMullen, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CA—While the Wellness Club focuses on the importance of mental health and getting social-emotional help, it is also a place to relax and have fun. 

Ms. Evelin Villa described it as “A group of students that advocate and spread the word about mental health.”

One of the club’s goals is for the community to know about the resources available through the Wellness Center for students and families. The Wellness Center is open throughout the school day for students in need of support, but it is also available after school. 

Families are invited to reach out to Ms. Villa to discover more about how the Center can support their students.

During meetings, club members engage in icebreakers and other exciting activities to help them become comfortable with peers, while preparing them to meet and relate to new people who may be going through similar situations or problems. 

For those involved, the Wellness Club is a safe place to get their mind off things for a bit and enjoy the company of others. Melanie Acosta joined because she would come to the Wellness Center during lunch to hang out with friends, which inspired her to join in order to share her experiences with others.

In addition to playing games and enjoying relaxing activities, the club is also part of the planning for this year’s Wellness Fair. This event, started in 2019 by Mateo Cisneros and Assistant Principal Jorge Alvarez, is a day of workshops, speakers, and vendors emphasizing the importance of mental health and wellness in support of each other and the community.

The Wellness Club President is Natalie Ramirez, the Vice Presidents are Brooke Carlson and Hunter Kelly, the Treasurer is Melanie Acosta, and the Secretary is Dillion Miller. 

The Wellness Club meets every Tuesday after school from 2:30-3:30 in the Wellness Center.