New assessment system offers more support to teachers, students

J. Dollins

Students like Reina Lopez (grade 9) will take the MAP assessment starting September 20 in English, math, and science.

Vivian Guevara, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CA—In order to get to where you are going, you need a map. Colton High is providing one for its students. From September 20-24, students at Colton High will be taking an online assessment called the MAP.

The Measurable Annual Progress test, the MAP, covers different subjects such as mathematics, English, and science. However, it also hits upon all subjects in the reading test.

The MAP test will take place across campus starting September 20. School administration has created a special bell schedule that provides 96 minutes to test.

All students are required to take the MAP test. They will test with their second period teacher.

According to the NWEA, the non-profit educational association who produces the MAP assessment, the test “provides teachers with accurate, and actionable evidence to help target instruction for each student or groups of students regardless of how far above or below they are from their grade level.”

Lucy Leyva, English Department Chair, agrees. “If students give a strong effort and teachers accurately see how to better instruct, there will be a huge payoff.”

Not everyone is as positive as Ms. Leyva. Calvin Cardenas, math teacher, is ambivalent. “I understand why the test is important, but I also know that class is important too.”

School officials stress how pivotal it is that students put their best effort into taking the MAP assessment.

The online testing software provides resources to help the student take the assessment. A toolbar provides access to a calculator, highlighter, line reader, notepad, and more.

MAP testing will take place three times during the 2021-22 school year. The September 20 date opens the window for Fall testing. Future assessments will take place on December 6-10, 2021 and April 4-8, 2022.