Leadership students build bonds, community through Synergy event

Larissa Lopez

Students from ASB, Link Crew, and Renaissance joined together for a special Synergy event to build a stronger CHS leadership community.

Sadie Larios, Pepper Bough Editor

Colton, Ca—On September 9, Colton High School hosted a Leadership Synergy in the Mac Gym for 150 Renaissance, ASB, and Link Crew students. 

Synergy events help students learn important leadership skills, such as communication, active listening, and teamwork through fun group games.

The event is organized by the Colton High School Link Crew and their adviser, Michael Esquivel. They host multiple Synergy events each school year as part of their mission to support student communication, organization, and well-being.

While Synergy often involves a wide range of students, ASB Director Alexandra Buskirk stressed the importance for leadership students to have their own Synergy. 

Before the pandemic, Buskirk recalls tension between the different leadership groups. Coming back this year, she hoped to fight that and build a bond between them.

Synergy’s goal is not just to build bonds between leadership students, but to create a community with the belief that “if you can connect with someone you can get through really anything”. 

After a year of distance learning, students are having a hard time connecting with each other. Synergy reminded our leadership students we are a community and when we need someone to rely on, we have each other.

Seniors Tiffany Trieu and Geraldine Montiel shared that with this being their last year on campus, especially after a pandemic, this Synergy event helped them reforge bonds with new students as well as those they haven’t seen in a long time.

Through Synergy’s activities and games, many students embraced the opportunity to be vulnerable and connect with their peers. It reminded our leadership students that real connections are made when you are open minded and kind.

The next Synergy event will be on September 29. It is open for all students who wish to participate.