Back-to-School Night poorly attended as virtual platform causes confusion for families

Jacob Rivera

Despite low turnout, CHS history teacher, Dr. Jennifer Cannaday, was excited about the attempt to keep the event safe for Colton’s families.

Briana McMullen, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CA—Colton High School’s Back-to-School Night was held last night in a virtual environment.

CJUSD opted to use a virtual platform instead of hosting the event in-person to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. 

Many teachers had few to no parents show up to discuss their students’ classes this year.

Before Back-to-School Night started, Dr. Jennifer Cannaday said, “I think virtually is excellent! And I think in-person is excellent, and I actually think right now because of COVID, virtually is a better idea. It’s safer.”  

CDC officials still recommend keeping the gatherings to a minimum with masks on in public settings. This helps reduce the spread of COVID-19.

For teachers who remained on campus to host the event, there was some concern about why most of CHS’s parents were a no-show. 

Mr. Barta patiently sat at his desk, waiting for students and parents to join his meeting, but unfortunately nobody ended up making it. When asked about it he said, “I had no students . . . it did not seem like the parents or the students were aware of where to go.”  

According to administration, many messages were sent throughout the week to parents and students regarding Back-to-School Night via Q Communicator and the school’s social media platforms.

Though messages were sent, many students seemed generally confused about the event.

Emily Parada, freshman, said, “My parents and I went to all of my classes, but we were the only family there.”