Rise and shine, it’s Senior Sunrise

Upperclassmen watch the sunrise together to commence their new journey as Seniors

Carlos Lizardi

Joselyn Delgadillo heads onto the football field to join her friends for their Senior Sunrise celebration.

Jennifer Callejas, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

Colton, CA—Colton High School hosted its annual Senior Sunrise event in the Yellowjacket Stadium at 5:30 yesterday morning to commence the beginning of the 2022 Seniors’ graduating year. The school’s upperclassmen made some unforgettable memories watching the beautiful summer sunrise together to mark the beginning of their new journey.

This event was hosted by the Senior Class. Admission to this amazing event was free, and all in attendance were provided with donuts, bagels, and drinks for breakfast. A photo booth took group pictures, so all could have a memory of the event.

After enduring distance learning for their Junior year, being able to keep the tradition of Senior activities was very special. This event was a time of reflection for the Seniors on their high school experience and their future paths afterwards, such as college and career.

CHS Seniors take a moment to write letters to their future selves for the time capsule that will be reopened at the Senior Sunset event before Graduation. (A. Buskirk)

To emphasize this reflection, the Senior class invited all to write a letter to themselves, which were placed in a time capsule to be reopened during Senior Sunset before graduation.

Now that this journey has begun, CHS’ Senior class are looking to their futures. For many, this means attending university, like Karime Parra, who said, “I want to attend a university—maybe UCR—and then I want to go to a school of medicine and pursue to become a pediatrician.”

“I’m super excited because I started my high school experience with the friends that I’m ending it with,” said Sydney Castro, a senior at Colton High who had a great experience at the Senior Sunrise.

While there were some safety concerns about this event, the Senior class, who planned this event, made sure everyone had their mask on when not with their group, and that each group was scattered around the field.

“I love that the Seniors got a moment to be on campus with each other without having to be in class, especially in our beautiful stadium,” said Assistant Principal Danielle Fernandez, who has worked with the Seniors throughout their four years of high school.

“Since it’s the start of a new year, it’s important that all of us come together,” said Senior Class president Crystal Mendoza as she took a moment to do her own reflection. “We are one class and we are blessed to be here.”