How is Online Students Affecting Students Today?

Valentina Velarde, Reporter

The COVID pandemic has become so severe that all public locations such as stores, malls, and even schools have shut down temporarily until recently. Schools had to take immediate actions on what’s next for students, their newer method introduced being online learning. A lot of students were completely unaware of how it was going to work going in, but it was all figured out. 

It has been a couple months since we have not been in an actual classroom, instead students sit at their desks at home and attend a zoom or google meeting to attend class and several assignments are assigned each day. Beginning the online platform, students did not complain as much but as time went by, students have become frustrated with online learning. Several students are disagreeing with the amount of assignments that are being sent out. 

A common issue within the first few weeks was that some students struggled and still do struggle turning in assignments because of their internet connection. Meaning, students are not marked for attendance – this can affect seniors and other students in the long run. 

Studies have shown that students are experiencing anxiety and depression because of school closures and the stress of having to deal with online classes, “Increasing numbers of students say they feel overwhelmed, and not just about the health of their family and friends due to the coronavirus. Their parents might be newly unemployed, they might be falling behind academically, they can’t see their friends, or they might be trapped at home in an abusive family situation.” (edsource.org)

This quote is a big example as to why students were afraid of online learning. Adding on, students with disabilities face the worst challenges and some teachers are unaware of that, what can we do to help them?  Hopefully we come with a solution soon because online learning has been difficult for all students.