Mass shooting rates on the rise

Valentina Velarde, Reporter

What has happened to America? What happened to the America we know are keeping communities and schools safe? Why are students and people in general are afraid of the world today. In case you havent noticed america has basically become a very unpredictable place with all these shootings happening. There is about 219 mass shooting in total all throughout the year of 2019. Approxalty 305 of those who were involved in the mass shootings are dead. 1219 were wounded in total, 7 in a school or university, and another 2 in total that happened in a place of worship. The rates of mass shootings since 2018 have increased rapidly there was about 167 mass shooting in a public place, 64 deaths in total. The Washington Post says otherwise “The people who were killed came from nearly every imaginable race, religion and socioeconomic background. Their ages range from the unborn to the elderly; 191 were children and teenagers. In addition, thousands of survivors were left with devastating injuries, shattered families and psychological scars.” and claimed that nearly 1,207 were killed from mass shootings in general, and can identify 318 guns that were used. 

Let’s name the most recent shootings. Aug. 31, 2019,Odessa, Texas, 7 dead, Aug. 4, 2019, Dayton, Ohio, 9 dead, Aug. 3, 2019, El Paso, 22 dead. Our most recent known mass shooting was in Odessa, Texas. Well how are all the people in america feeling about this what are the consequences of being in a mass shooting, losing a loved one from one, or even hearing about one do? Well it causes some trauma, post traumatic stress, major depression, etc. Most people that ive interviewed said that they feel unsafe in any environment whether its school, a store or really anywhere. They also said that we are learning these school shooting drills but if there were to ever be a shooting at CHS the student will know what to expect. With 2019 almost coming to an end will the mass shootings rates or stay the same for these next 3 months? We will have to wait and see.