Teacher Appreciation: Ms. Janet Godinez

A Pepper Bough staff writer shares how one of our exceptional Algebra teachers changed her perspectives on math and life.
Josie Ramos
Josie Ramos with Algebra teacher Ms. Janet Godinez

There are many outstanding teachers here at Colton, but a personal favorite of mine is Ms. Janet Godinez. 

Ms. Godinez is a freshman Algebra teacher. She is not only a teacher, but someone to look up to, a great listener, and a friend.

Ms. Godinez’s classroom is a comfortable environment for everyone as my classmates and I speak our minds to her, knowing she doesn’t judge us.

What makes Ms. Godinez an outstanding teacher to me is her teaching skills. Although math might not be the most fun subject, she’s always made it a bit more exciting to learn. 

Every teacher teaches differently, but she’s always made sure I understand each math problem she teaches, even on the days when I thought “I don’t know how to do it.”  

She never accepts that answer, always stopping what she is doing to give a one-on-one lesson. She pushes me to reach my full ability, always helping me to learn more than I think I can. 

The more she speaks with me, the more improvement I see in myself.

Besides our math talks, she also gives inspiring advice. Even when it’s not what I want to hear, she helps me make realizations about both big and little things, whether algebra or real life.

Godinez knows how to put a little smile on my face even on our bad days. Everyday as I walk into her class, there’s a warm welcome and big smile from her. And as everyone passes through the door at the end of the day, she always says, “Bye children have a great rest of your day!” 

Her favorite thing to call us are “children.” And she treats us just how I know she’ll treat her future children. 

We have our names for her, too. I like to call her “Ms. Godiney.” Other students call her “Ms. GoldieLocks.”

I’ve watched many other students come to her the same way I do. Former students use their passing period to go and just talk with her.

Besides the fun side, when it’s time to work, she knows how to quickly change her attitude for us to understand. Ms. Godinez is a hardworking teacher, gets to work early, showing up everyday with a positive attitude and bringing her talent to teach young students. Her energy is always the light in the class.

In one of his songs, Kanye West wrote “Thank you for all the glory/You will be remembered.” As I end my freshman year, I will always remember Ms.Godinez as someone who changed my view on math and taught me to appreciate the now as I also look forward to better things in the future. 

$735
$10000

Josie Ramos
Josie Ramos, Staff Writer
Josie Ramos is a freshman at Colton High. This is her first year working for the Pepper Bough.
$735
$10000