New Band Director brings love for music and performance to students

J. Dollins

Mr. Kenneth Taber (left), takes a break with his band students between performances at last Friday’s football game vs. Alta Loma.

Aleczander Aguayo, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

The Colton High School Marching Band has been around for almost as long as the school has. One look into the band room reveals the history of it. With stacks of sheet music and shelves crammed with past trophies, the succession of the band is always a sight to see.

The CHS family now welcomes a new Band Director, Mr. Kenneth Taber. Mr.Taber’s goal is to make the band the best it can be while sticking to the same Yellowjacket traditions. 

Ever since he picked up a trumpet in 4th grade, Mr. Taber immediately fell in love with music. He stuck to the trumpet all through college and eventually graduated from The University of Redlands with a bachelors in music.

Mr.Taber has ambitious plans for the band program, not only this year, but in the years to come. “The biggest thing I am looking forward to is our first performance together. Those are always some of the best and exciting moments.” 

His plans extend well beyond this year, though. Mr.Taber also intends to take the band to a variety of competitions and concerts outside the Colton community.

Despite expected setbacks to the band program due to Coronavirus, Mr.Taber has shown up these first days of school excited and enthusiastic about being able to teach in-person again. After all, many of the students have not picked up an instrument for almost a year. Some are even new to their instruments. 

Having to teach incoming Freshmen and Sophomore students how to march and play their instrument is definitely a Herculean task, but Mr. Taber is determined to tackle it and succeed. With a passion not only for music, but for teaching, Mr.Taber is someone that CHS can welcome and hope to see amazing things from.