Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

SpongeBob goes out of water this 2015!

SpongeBob goes out of water this 2015!

I’m ready! I’m ready! or so Spongebob thought. At the end of January, 2014, SpongeBob SquarePants, the hit television cartoon show about a cartoon sea Sponge’s daily life was canceled. Although a lot of people say the cartoon was going down hill anyways, many people were sad to see the show they grew up with be canceled ranging from adults, teens, and kids. Nickelodeon Studio’s came out with the very first SpongeBob movie in 2004 and did very well in the the theatres. The movie made about $140 million at the box office and got mostly positive reviews. February 6, 2015, the sequel to the original SpongeBob Movie was released all around the United States. Although the movie grossed over $56 million, many people would say this movie wasn’t worth the money they paid for.

Even with the few sincere laughs throughout the movie, it seemed to be trying too hard to be funny; although it is suppose to be a kids movie. An example of this is a scene in the movie where one of the main characters, Patrick Star, sees an exceptionally beautiful girl in a bikini holding an ice cream cone and says, “Where have you been all my life?” After saying this Patrick goes for the ice cream. In a sense the movie had many “cheesy” moments.

Taking the cartoon animation and converting it 3D didn’t quite increase it’s popularity either. The 3D animation in the movie wasn’t the best and this could be related to it being a cartoon for kids and the producers trying to bump up the level of “goofiness”. In the last Spongebob movie the characters were kept the same, as if they were still watching the cartoon on tv, and the switch to 3D animation might have been a cause for many of these bad ratings/reviews.

The storyline of the movie is a simple one. In the movie a pirate wants to take the Krabby Patty “secret formula” and succeeds in doing so. Now SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, along with Mr. Krabs must leave their marine habitat to retrieve it.

Over all if I were to rate this movie I would give it a 6/10, but if you love Spongebob and are looking for a goofy movie to watch, you should definitely watch this one.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Rickey Ramirez
Rickey Ramirez, Reporter
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search
SpongeBob goes out of water this 2015!