Pep Rally brings the CHS community together

Crimson and Gold-themed welcome back pep rally unites CHS’s diverse community of students
YBK Staff
Yogi welcomes everyone to the first rally of 2023. These are his favorite days on campus as everyone comes together to show off their Colton Pride!

Colton, CA—During 6th period on August 18, excitement and anticipation filled the Hubbs Gym as new ASB Pep Commissioners Christian Jason and Samantha Gonzalez welcomed the incoming classes to the first pep rally of the 2023-2024 school year.

“How I feel about being the host of the pep rally? It’s a little scary, but it’s fun. I like it,” said sophomore Jason.

“It’s going to be my first official year as a commissioner. I’m super excited” said junior Gonzales.

Following NJROTC’s presentation of colors, senior Natalie Diaz sang the National Anthem. It was her first time singing in front of such a large audience.

Cheer Team also performed at the event, embodying school spirit and displaying ambition as their cheerleaders performed a variety of exciting stunts.

Representatives from fall sports this year came out to introduce their teams, including football, girls tennis, volleyball, and cross-country. The teams flooded the gym with their chants and school spirit.

ASB introduced a few games at this year’s rally. One popular game was “Head, Shoulders, Knees, Merch.” Students from all classes ran down to the gym floor to play against each other, displaying friendly rivalry. That rivalry was especially on display during the class yells. Despite strong competition from the sophomores and juniors, the seniors walked away wearing the crown.

This rally marked the first last rally for the class of 2024. Senior class president Grace Osueke and ASB president Juan Barron were both seeming a bit reflective.

“This is our last first rally. I truly do hope that my class gives it all,” said Osueke. 

“It’s been an honor to be able to not only be able to help guide the class in the right direction, but also be able to help mentor all the different classes,” said Barron. 

Under the direction of new band director Aron Campbell, Colton High School’s band brought back some Colton tradition by leading students in singing the alma mater with their senior drum majors Erin Dallatorre and Isaac Ornelas. 

In addition to band’s performance, a student group also took the spotlight. Nueva Alianza, a student-formed band featuring Karen Millan, Jimmy Magana, Alexis Perez Ramirez, Santiago Ramos Velasco, and Julio Gomez, prepared a few songs for the rally with only three days of practice time. They performed two songs, “Lagunas” and “Ella Baila Sola.”

As the celebrations came to an end and confetti settled on the floor, ASB concluded this rally. They made sure to remind everyone to turn out for the homecoming dance and the football team’s “black out” game against AB Miller.

$735
$10000

Mia Zamora
Mia Zamora, Staff Writer
Mia Zamora is currently a senior at Colton High School. She enjoys everyday actvities such as drawing, playing music, designing and sees herself as quite an artist. This is her first year writing for the Pepper Bough, but she is invovled in AVID, National Honor Society, Wellness Club, and the swim team. She hopes to pave a way for change through her writing.
$735
$10000