CJUSD schools shut down as Hurricane Hilary sweeps southland

Colton High School will reopen on Tuesday as administration and maintenance go in on Monday to assess damages caused by storm
Hurricane Hilary has moved up from the south to provide an unprecedented storm in the history of Southern California. [Courtesy ABC News]

Colton, CA—This afternoon, as Hurricane Hilary began flooding southern California, officials from CJUSD announced that all schools will be closed on Aug. 21.

In the statement released by the district they shared “We made this decision out of careful consideration for the health and safety of our students, parents and staff to allow everyone to avoid travel as much as possible. We realize that this will cause inconvenience due to childcare and other issues, and we do not take it lightly.”

Students and most staff will stay home on Monday. Administration, maintenance, security, and information technology employees will be on sites to assess damages in order to prepare for schools to reopen on Tuesday, Aug. 22.

“Although I am saddened that our students will miss a day of school tomorrow, I am grateful that our CJUSD leaders made the decision to close our schools to ensure the safety and well-being of our students and staff,” said principal John Abbott. “With that being said, I look forward to seeing everyone back on campus on Tuesday to continue learning and resuming school activities!”

On August 20, 2023 for the first time in 84 years, California is experiencing a tropical storm known as Hurricane Hilary. The hurricane has caused major flooding that is rising from 3-10 inches with high winds up to speeds of 50 m.p.h.

The hurricane is set to continue from Mexico straight through California and into Nevada.

According to reports in the Los Angeles Times, the reason Hurricane Hilary was able to hit this part of California was because “This year . . . an unusual set of weather patterns and warm Pacific Ocean waters have short-circuited these normally reliable safeguards and allowed Hurricane Hilary to make its hell-for-leather dash for Southern California.”

CJUSD is not the only school district to close its doors on Monday. Los Angeles Unified, Rialto Unified, and other local districts are also telling families to stay home. Notably, San Bernardino City Unified is still remaining open for the time being. San Bernardino County has issued a “local state of emergency” according to nbcnews.com.

The storm warning is expected to last through Monday afternoon.

The hurricane wasn’t the only natural disaster occurring today. Southern California also experienced a 5.1 magnitude earthquake at 2:41 pm. The epicenter was near Ojai. The United State Geological Service has issued text warnings about potential aftershocks.

Some have taken to dubbing the event the #hurriquake.

Update (9:23 p.m.): San Bernardino City Unified has notified families that schools will be closed on Aug. 21.

$735
$10000

Daphne Marquez
Daphne Marquez, Editor
Daphne Marquez is a sophomore at Colton High School. This is her second year working for the Pepper Bough. She is the editor for News and Features. She enjoys the basic things like watching videos on Youtube, listening to music (constantly), playing video games, playing guitar, and writing (for the Pepper Bough and for herself).
$735
$10000