Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Seniors prepare for final year at annual Sunrise event

Despite overcast weather blocking the sun, seniors enjoy breakfast and friends on football field
YBK Staff
ASB’s “Graduation” theme set a colorful stage for an otherwise overcast morning at the annual Senior Sunrise event.

Colton, CA—It was one cloudy but not so gloomy dawn for the senior class of 2024. 

Colton, Slover Mountain, and Washington seniors sacrificed hours of sleep to be at Memorial Stadium at 5:30 am on Aug. 11 for the annual Senior Sunrise. The anticipated sunrise was unfortunately invisible due to overcast weather. 

For the seniors this was the least of their worries. 

The theme of this year’s Sunrise event was “Graduation,” a reference to the popular 2007 album by hip-hop artist Kanye West. The vibrant pinks and purples from that album cover adorned the stadium, from the entrance decor to the balloon photo op areas. Even the donut breakfast provided by ASB’s senior class, matched the scheme. 

A notable element of this year’s event was the participation of students from Slover Mountain and Washington alternative.

Isabella Avara was a bit anxious to be back at her old school. “I’m a little nervous [to be at Colton High School] because I haven’t been to Colton since summer school,” she said. “It feels really relieving to know that I can come without like […] being worried that I’m gonna get kicked out.”

For Yellowjackets, the experience was an opportunity to prepare themselves for the year to come. “I mean, it’s exciting and scary at the same time because I’m not ready for the next step in life,” said senior Aadam Waters. “But, you know, that’s part of life—to be ready for the next step.”

In addition to enjoying the early wake up call and a free breakfast, seniors were invited by the ASB team, led by senior class president Grace Osueke, to write personal letters to themselves that would be returned to them in May at the annual Senior Sunset event.

Senior Sunset is scheduled for May 10, 2024 from 6-8 p.m.

Senior Sunrise represents the dawn of the new year, with its corresponding event, Senior sunrise representing the dusk on a successful high school career.. 

That being said, when Colton High School senior Josiah Diggs was asked what he wanted to say to himself at Senior Sunset, he said, “Oh, oh, I just asked a question and like, what did you do this year? Did you accomplish what you wanted to and was it meaningful?”

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Briana McMullen
Briana McMullen, Editor
Briana McMullen is a junior at Colton High School. Some of her interests include skating (both rollerskating and skateboarding), reading and hanging out with friends. She loves listening to music. Some of her favorite artists are the Beatles, the Doors, Pink Floyd, $uicideboy$, Tyler the Creator, The Police, Nirvana, Pantera, Metallica and Megadeath.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal