Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Radio station soundtracks lunch, hands out prizes

ASB invites 92.3 FM “The Beat” to CHS to entertain students as part of the first “Friday Fun” event of the year.
Edith Orta
Students participated in games to win prizes from 92.3 FM “The Beat’s” DJ. This contest involved proving that the student had the song playing on a personal playlist. Cergio Arciga was up for the challenge.

Colton, CA—The 2023-2024 school year got off to an exciting start today as ASB invited a guest DJ from radio station 92.3 FM “The Beat” for the first “Friday Fun” event of the year. As students enjoyed their single lunch time, they danced and received opportunities to win prizes from the station.

Prizes included concert tickets to see rapped Cordae at the Novo in Los Angeles and family 4-pack tickets to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Prize winners included Carlito Marquez and Murad Fakhouri, who walked away from the Six Flags tickets, and Joelene Chihuahua and Hugo Ruiz, who won the concert tickets.

DJ Tye, who reached out to ASB director Alexandra Buskirk to set up this event, loves doing events like this one. “I really love music, so being able to play music for people is a big inspiration,” he said.

Students were also excited about the event, with several groups rushing the stage to receive prizes and vie for tickets. Some showed off their dancing skills, while others tossed their friends in the air.

This event is the first of what ASB plans to be activities for students every Friday during lunch.

“The goal this year is to have different groups, whether it’s a community group, or organization clubs, or pathways on campus to help host something on Friday,” said Buskirk. “We should have something to kick off our weekend. So whether that’s a radio station, making friendship bracelets, shooting hoops outsidelike whatever it is. I want Fridays to be ‘okay, we’re doing something on Friday.’ We’re hanging out together and celebrating our week.”

This event looked like a strong start for ASB’s vision.

Upcoming “Friday Fun” events include an event next Friday organized around the theme of Senior Sunrise, a pep rally day on Aug. 18, and an activity put together by the football team. Other organizations who have already committed to being involved are the Wellness Club and the basketball team.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Mario Colunga
Mario Colunga, Editor
Mario Colunga is a freshman at Colton High School who likes to play sports and watch movies, especially fast action movies. He is involved in multiple sports and lives to compete with his friends.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal