Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

The Wellness Center is working to make itself a staple in the Colton community

This on campus emotional support system provides students opportunities to practice mindfulness and self-care
Brand+new+Wellness+Coordinators+Theresa+Rago+%28left%29+and+Myriam+Whall+%28right%29+welcome+in+new+students+into+the+Wellness+Center.+
Mia Zamora
Brand new Wellness Coordinators Theresa Rago (left) and Myriam Whall (right) welcome in new students into the Wellness Center.

As the beginning of a new school year starts, students are always faced with new challenges. Although many students believe that they can handle these challenges on their own, the opposite can actually be seen sometimes. 

It gets tough when it comes to a situation like dealing with the loss of a loved one or dealing with an argument that ended wrong. As strong as we may assume to be, we all could use an extra hand in times like these. 

Students are immediately introduced into the friendly, calming atmosphere of the Wellness Center as they walk in. (Mia)

The Wellness Center on campus was created as a safe place for these students to find mental health services and emotional support. Some of these services include therapy, group counseling, or just finding someone to talk to. 

These services are provided at no cost to any individual student. This way, the Wellness Center is able to provide an effective and confidential service to students dealing with difficult situations. 

One of their biggest additions to the program has been the creation of the Wellness Club as well. Its purpose is for students to spread mental health awareness throughout campus. 

At club meetings, students will collaborate in several activities such as yoga, painting, gardening, and practicing mindfulness. Each activity done gives students opportunities to not only reconnect with their peers but also with their inner selves. 

The Wellness Center showcases their garden, featuring several types of vegetables all planted by students to help practice mindfulness. (Mia)

“The Wellness Center continues to grow and provide support for our students,” said Leslie Cruz, Wellness Club Co-Advisor and Mental Health Intern at CHS. 

The Wellness Center’s goal is to both provide growth to students and to give a supportive environment to help cultivate that. The Wellness Club hopes to become a long-lasting staple in the Colton High School community for generations to come.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Mia Zamora
Mia Zamora, Staff Writer
Mia Zamora is currently a senior at Colton High School. She enjoys everyday actvities such as drawing, playing music, designing and sees herself as quite an artist. This is her first year writing for the Pepper Bough, but she is invovled in AVID, National Honor Society, Wellness Club, and the swim team. She hopes to pave a way for change through her writing.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal