Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Students dropouts: varied reasons, varied fixes

There are many high school students dropping every day because they’re not able to reach their standards or for other reasons. Recent state statistics indicate that up to 24% of seniors currently in high school will  not graduate this year. The state with the highest percent of students not graduating is  Nevada with 38%.  What are the reasons for these huge numbers, and can anything be done about it?

The reasons students drop out are many and varied: teen pregnancies, economic, or drug related reasons top the list. Dropping out of high school may even cause people to start doing drugs because they feel depressed.  People that don’t graduate high school may have a difficult time later in life.  They may have a hard time finding a job and if they have a child it will be even harder to support them because without a high school diploma it will be hard to find a decent one because of today’s economy.

People that come from wealthier families have a higher chance of graduating high school.  If people would graduate high school there will be less chance of crime going on in the United States. If students are having a hard time understanding the material they should ask they’re teachers for tutoring, which is available here at Colton High just about every day after school (check the lists posted all over campus or ask your teacher).

There are ways out for non grads. Some people go to charter schools to get their credits faster if they are behind.  President Obama announced that he is lowering the cost of college for students using  financial aid. That would motivate people to finish college.

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more students will keep dropping out every year. If students don’t get the help they need the number of drop outs will continue to rise.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Gorge Serrano
Gorge Serrano, Reporter
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search