Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Colton Vibe – Aug. 28, 2023

Summer is coming to an end, and we have a perfect blend of classic songs to transition into Fall
PB Staff
As summer winds down, we take a look at some classic summer songs.

School always seems to be the point to the start of Fall, yet we’re still in the dog days, with raging temperatures, freak weather, and air conditioning. The beach is still the place to go for relief from the inland heat, and backyard barbecues and fiestas are still best on weekend nights.

This list is for these last days of summer as we reflect and get ready for the fall to come. It’s a mix of classics, both modern and old.

“Turn Turn Turn” (1965) – The Byrds

A song originally composed by folk music legend Pete Seeger, “Turn Turn Turn” didn’t achieve fame status until it was performed by The Byrds. The song, a reworking of Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 in the King James Bible, was a true song of the summer in 1965 as the Baby Boomer generation was coming of age and trying to figure out what all the political conflicts of their lives meant. Listening to it now, it doesn’t feel like much has changed.

“The Boys of Summer” (2003) – The Ataris

With their roguish and pleading tone, 2000’s pop-punk band The Ataris covered Don Henley’s 80s classic “The Boys of Summer.” As sung by Henley, the song is a dramatic, urgent song about growing older and leaving our youth behind. But the Ataris put their punk-rock spin on the song and turned Henley’s song into an anthem about growing out of their scene.

“Seasons (Waiting On You)” (2014) – Future Islands

Some of us can agree how frustrating it can be waiting for someone to decide on anything. Well, “Seasons” by Future Islands is all about the frustration of waiting for someone to decide whether or not they want you. At the time genres like rock and even country music were very popular and instead of sounding modern for the time Season took a whole 180 and was rather more reminiscent of the 80’s.

“Can’t Help Falling in Love” (1961) – Elvis Presley

Now some may know that August 16th was the anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death, but I felt that his song “Can’t Help Falling In Love” was a well-worthy fit for this week’s Colton Vibe. In this song, Elvis sings about the inevitability of his love for a girl. This song eventually rose to popularity rivaling other songs like “Jailhouse Rock” and “If I Can Dream” and is now Elvis’s most listened-to song on Spotify.

“Sabor a Mi” (1998) – Luis Miguel

“Sabor a Mi” is a Mexican classic. Written by Álvaro Carrillo in 1959, it has become one of the most covered songs in Latin music history. One of the most popular recordings is this one in 1998 by Luis Miguel. “Sabor a Mi” is about how no matter how far apart he and his love may be, their love will continue to linger on. Luis Miguel sings slowly with love, making you feel how he feels as a soft violin sings along with him. The song even has a vintage feel that transports you to a black-and-white old novela.

“Barbie Girl” (1997) – Aqua

With the popularity of the movie “Barbie,” this 90s one-hit wonder by Aqua has made a huge comeback, becoming the song of the summer for 2023. The dance-pop beats are catchy and goofy, but it serves as the perfect counter to the heaviness of what’s been going on in the world. “Life in plastic, it’s fantastic!” That may well be true right now.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Mark Rodriguez
Mark Rodriguez, Staff Writer
Mark Rodriguez is a sophomore at Colton High School. Other than the fact he is taller than you would expect a 15-year old to be, he's a pretty average high school kid. He tends to get out of line, but he somehow manages to fix that (sometimes). He's "smart" but struggles because of a lack of effort. However, when he tries, he can do excellent work (according to some sources). He likes to make people laugh and smile, but somehow he still struggles to talk to people. This is Mark's second year writing for the Pepper Bough.
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal