Colton puts the sting to GT in heated rivalry match, 40-28

It is now three years in a row that the Varsity Colton YellowJackets have beaten the Grand Terrace Titans, with the boys in Crimson and Gold delivering their annual dominance of the Titans with a come-from-behind victory last Friday night, 40-28.

Head Coach Chris Mailo summed up the victory, saying, “The kids played well, they got behind early and kept their heads [up], and they stood tall when they had to. Also, the kids being there [playing GT] before [were] staying mentally tough, kept their eyes on the prize, and just kept battling.”

“Mayhem” was the word to describe the first half of Jacket football, as both GT and Colton exploded with outstanding offense and defense. Grand Terrace scored the first touchdown in the first quarter to get the game rolling into gear but Colton struck back at the Titans as Senior Running Back/Wide Receiver, DeAndre Graham scored with a touchdown to lead by one point. However the game escalated quickly going into the second quarter as Grand Terrace and Colton again scored a touchdown each (contributed by Colton Senior Quarterback Alex Toledo)  as the Titans led by one 14-13 going into  halftime.

The second half was all Colton as they led themselves to victory with their high octane offense with Toledo, Juniors Wide Receiver Chris Flores, and Outside Linebacker Jared Campa contributing by scoring a touchdown each. Only giving up one touchdown and a two point conversion, the overall defense was strong and hard to get through as GT struggled on offense, giving Colton the three peat victory. Coach Mailo also added his thoughts about the victory, “To me, in all honesty, it’s another victory and it’s another win to beat them and keep our playoff hopes alive. For the team, I know it’s a big thing for the kids. They have a lot of friends up there and so it’s bragging rights to them.”

$735
$10000

Mike Wexler
Mike Wexler, Sports Editor
$735
$10000

Activate Search