Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Jackets break out the defense in rout of Fontana, 42-7

It was something about the noise from the Colton crowd that inspired the YellowJackets to have a great game defeating the Fontana Steelers, 42-7 on Friday, Oct. 10. Although they turned the ball over once, the Varsity boys made very few mistakes. Varsity Head Coach Chris Mailo said about Friday’s game, “I thought we played well, came together in all three phases of the game and executed when we had to.” As said by Mailo, the team did execute with great offense and put the D in outstanding defense.

It seemed to be a back and forth game in the first quarter as Colton and Fontana scored one touchdown each (including the extra point field goal), but it then turned into a YellowJacket rout as Juniors Outside Linebacker, Jared Campa and Wide Receiver Chris Flores contributed a touchdown each in the second quarter, which got the Crimson and Gold offense rolling to end the first half.

The second half, like the first. was full of high octane offense as the Steelers tried hold off Colton but were unsuccessful. Not only did the offense roll once again but defense was a big key after halftime. Colton made outstanding work keeping the opposition away from the touchdown line. They shutout the Steelers the entire second half,Fontana Steelers,  gaining their second win of the season.

But this game was not only another blowout for Colton, but it was also the night of a Varsity player’s debut as former JV player, freshman Running Back Laurence Campbell made a statement in his first time in the starting offense lineup as he ended the game by scoring a total of three touchdowns. Campbell was certainly making some noise as he led the team with the most touchdowns. He said in a quick interview after the game, “It’s the dream of my life. It felt good; my mom always told me to always push me and push me, never give up and pushed myself to the fullest.”

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Mike Wexler
Mike Wexler, Sports Editor
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search