Colton rocks a new principal, Joda Murphy

Perhaps you’ve seen a new face around campus—a blonde, lanky woman, somewhat determined looking, strolling around CHS as if she’s on a mission. Well, she is: she’s our new principal, Joda Murphy.

Murphy took over from departing Principal Amanda Corridan on Monday, September 15th. Corridan, who led the Yellowjackets for the past four years, received a promotion to head the Student Services Division of the school district, a job she’s coveted for a long time.

“I’m excited and I love what the student services department does to help kids,” said Corridan. “That’s where I came from before I came to Colton High School.  I’m excited to go back; I didn’t think I would be back so soon.  I don’t think I was necessarily quite ready to leave Colton High School, but I have a passion for that kind of work and I was afraid the opportunity might not be there in the future if I passed it up this time.”

Corridan sees herself staying at Student Services a long time—“just staying there until I retire.” Would she ever consider returning to CHS? “Yes, I’m a district employee, so wherever my superintendent or the board feels that I would best serve kids, you know, they decide where I go, so absolutely.”

New Principal Murphy has worked five other jobs in 21 years—as a science teacher, assistant principal, and principal.  Most recently, she served as principal at Joe Baca Middle School.

While Colton High is her first high school assignment, she is eager to find out all about our little world here. “I want to see where all the stuff we have been building to, what is it like,” she said. So far, she’s been very impressed with the student body. “I think the students have been very respectful, very nice. I like working with the staff and like how they work together and they bring new ideas.”

Murphy is planning on working at the high school for about eight years.  She has a definite vision for Colton’s future.  “I want to make sure that we’re working on the students’ academics, really focused on making sure that the students are getting the best possible education.  We need to insure that the students are learning everything they need to know, and increase the graduation rate.”

Murphy knows it won’t happen overnight, but she’s willing to put in the long hours necessary to make sure Colton stays on top. A positive, upbeat personality, she will strive to impart that optimism to the staff and students. Smiling broadly, she says, “I just want to make sure that [Colton High] continues to be a positive place.”

$735
$10000

Rickey Ramirez
Rickey Ramirez, Reporter
$735
$10000

Activate Search