CHS alum serves country from far overseas

alex

“Having my image hung up is fantastic,” says CHS alumni Tyler Holmes from his army base in Vilseck, Germany, commenting on the “Heroes” banner with his picture on it hanging conspicuously on a lamppost directly across from his alma mater. “Living in a small home like Colton,all my friends and family get to see me and tell me they are proud of me. Which allows me to know that I have people that love me and miss me. After all, I have been away from home for three years. Especially since it is hanging in front of my favorite restaurant.”

We all know the famous chicken restaurant KFC located in front of the school. Recently a banner has been display out to the public of Tyler Holmes a former graduate (in 2011) and the son of Mrs. Valerie Holmes, CHS staff member.

Tyler has been away for three years and 14 weeks. Immediately after graduation he was sent to Vilseck (the first he was sent to) and in the 14 weeks he spent at Ft. Benning Georgia (home to the infantry doing basic training) but those weren’t the only places he was sent to. He was deployed in other Countries, even to Afghanistan.The branch he service is the U.S Army and his job in the army is an infantryman. An infantryman is a soldier on the front line that carries everything he needs to service and to fight enemy on my back.

“I was excited to leave home. I was not planning on going from basic Germany to not see home for a year and a half. I missed home all the time but the friends I made, made it all worth it.” Leaving home for the first time was exciting for him because being in the army was something he wanted to do as a child.

Joining the army we usually have our own reasons on why we want to join, even Tyler. The reason he wanted to join was because of the fact he gets paid to shoot guns, but that’s not the only reason either. He also learn that there was more to it than shooting guns, and because of the 9/11 attack he also really wanted to serve his country.

Everything has its ups and downs, favorites and non-favorites. “My favorite part about serving is the deployments. The reason is freedom to do our job, and the shenanigans my friends and I got into while deployed. The part I disliked the most has to be garrison. While garrison we do not do what we are trained to do. We cut grass, mop floors multiple times a day, do lay outs of gear, room inspections, and training below freezing temp. Everything is not always going to be fun even if it’s something you wanted to do.”

He has been in the war and saw things that we hope we never see. Being out in combat is a scary place to be, knowing that could be your last time out there, and seeing what humans are truly capable of doing. He saw a darker side of this world.

In three months, after the army his plans are to move to Las Vegas and marry the love of his life, Paige Stephenson. He is also planning on becoming a firefighter, realizing he “should risk his own life to save others.”

Holmes reflects on his time in the army: “Serving my Country has brought honor to myself and my family. I would not trade a single second for it. I’m proud of what I have done for my country.”

$735
$10000

Alexis Ponce
Alexis Ponce, Reporter
$735
$10000

Activate Search