Mexico and parts of the United States come together to celebrate Mexican Independence Day

Bianca Roman, Reporter

Cinco de Mayo isn’t Mexico’s Independence Day, it’s actually known as the Battle of Puebla. It is often thought that Mexican Independence Day it is on Cinco de Mayo because of all the advertising it gets from big commercial companies in America however, the real day that Mexico celebrates on is September 16. On that day in 1810, a priest named Miguel Hidalgo gave a very inspiring speech to the people of Mexico in the City of Dolores. He made the first Grito de Dolores, which translates to Cry of Dolores. That led to Mexico rebelling against the control of Spain.

As punishment for rebelling, the Spanish civil government beheaded Hidalgo and displayed his head in Guanajuato. After that José María Morelos took over and helped the army become a bit stronger, but later he was also beheaded like Hidalgo. Later on, in 1821 a Spanish-supporting, Augstín de Iturbide, flipped to become a part of the Mexican independence movement. Iturbide led soldiers into Mexico City and declared Mexico’s independence. Even though Iturbide was a huge part of this, Hidalgo gets more of the recognition. Today all over Mexico and some places in the United States celebrate the Mexican Independence Day with music, food, parties, and family.

• Mexico and parts of the United States come together to celebrate Mexican Independence Day

Top Stories

The most anticipated movie of the year is only one week away

• News

LA pays respect to legend Nipsey Hussle

Arts and Entertainment

Colton High School’s Shrek the Musical is a success

Opinion

Here’s the difference between high school and college

Top Stories

Ribbon cutting ceremony for stadium brings Colton community together

Top Stories

Day 28 of the Government Shutdown: How is America holding up?

Opinion

What type of tree should your family get for Christmas?

Opinion

Homework given during breaks causes stress during the holiday season

Top Stories

Marvel Universe creator Stan Lee passes at 95

Sports

MMA is not getting the recognition it deserves

Keeping Colton High School informed and entertained since 1917