Keeping Colton High School informed and entertained since 1917

Movie review: Suicide Squad

Joshua Sandoval, Reporter

What does a marksman, a crocodile/human hybrid, and a psychologist turned crazed gymnast have in common? They’re all bad guys! Suicide Squad isn’t your average superhero flick, no, this movie is exactly the opposite.

Suicide Squad follows a group of Batman’s most  notorious villains forced to join up to do some good and defend the world from destruction. The squad consists of Dead Shot; a marksman who never misses, Harley Quinn; girlfriend to the lunatic crime boss Joker; Killer Croc; a human crocodile hybrid; Captain Boomerang; a notorious jewel thief who’s an expert at using his deadly boomerangs; El Diablo; a street thug with the power to control fire given to him by an ancient demon, and SlipKnot; who has the ability to scale any building with his ropes.

Brought together by Amanda Waller and led by Army commander Rick Flags with his bodyguard Katana (a Samurai whose katana contains the soul of her victims), they head to bring down an ancient evil known as the Enchantress and her recently resurrected brother who are trying to bring down all of humanity.

The first noticeable feature in Suicide Squad is its colorful characters. You won’t leave the theater without having a favorite by the end, whether it be the deranged Harley Quinn or the hilarious out-of-touch with reality Captain Boomerang. If the characters don’t draw you in though, then you’ll definitely stay for the amazing action scenes. Major destruction ensues around the squad as they fight through the forces of the Enchantress.

Though as great as all that may seem, there’s a couple of flaws that will no doubt catch your attention. The movie is paced in the weirdest way possible. It feels as if they rushed the beginning to get to the action and conflict. Filling in the villain’s backstories with brief flashbacks and small mentions. Instead of getting to know the characters in the beginning, you don’t fully understand them till the end. Another negative in the movie is character importance, I won’t say much, but one thing I noticed is that it felt like Killer Croc and Katana were side characters. Which is a shame because they’re without a doubt fan favorites among some people.

Not everything is perfect though, but this is definitely a not that far off reach from a movie masterpiece. There’s a little of everything for everyone in Suicide Squad. So go ahead and make plans to go see it. It’s absolutely worth it, especially if you’d enjoy a balanced helping of comedy and action! Suicide Squad was released August 5, 2016 and is in theaters everywhere now.

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Sports

Track Ends the Year in Awe and Glory

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Top Stories

CHS undergoes eco-friendly modernizations

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Top Stories

Class of ’17 gears up for pre-graduation events

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Sports

Super Bowl 51 sets new records

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Opinion

Your lazy decisions are contaminating the ocean

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

News

America somewhat welcomes the 45th president

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

News

Seniors are in for a ‘night in the spotlight’ at the Yost Theater

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Arts and Entertainment

Wild Rivers outdo themselves with self-titled album

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Arts and Entertainment

Nothing Else Matters but Little Mix’s new album “Glory Days”

• Movie review: Suicide Squad

Sports

Ukrainian boxer Vasyl Lomachenko is on top of the world

Movie review: Suicide Squad